586,432 active members*
4,148 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Where to get Plywood in Plano, Texas area?

Where to get Plywood in Plano, Texas area?

Hi all,

I wasn't impressed with what Lowe's or Home Depot had in their lumber aisles. And it was $40 for a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" birch, is that about right? And the MDF wasn't much better at $30, and I've heard that big box store MDF is junk anyway. Are there any online options? I'm East of Plano, so anywhere north east of Dallas is fine.

Thanks for any input.

Quote Originally Posted by jimdaug View Post
    Hi all,

I wasn't impressed with what Lowe's or Home Depot had in their lumber aisles. And it was $40 for a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" birch, is that about right? And the MDF wasn't much better at $30, and I've heard that big box store MDF is junk anyway. Are there any online options? I'm East of Plano, so anywhere north east of Dallas is fine.

Thanks for any input.
    I bought two sheets of MDF at an eastern NC Lowe's yesterday and it was $32. It's the light tan color stuff. They only have 3/4" sheets. Home Depot 30 miles south of me has the same stuff for $31, and they also have 1/2" full sheets and 1/4" smaller sheets of something less than half sheet in size. About half of the 1/4" smaller sheets were the darker color stuff.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

You might contact Dixie Ply at (972) 445-6543 and ask for a local retailer that carries their MDF.

Plywood --- MDF Suppliers

I have found Central Hardswoods to be helpful in the past.

Located In Northwest, Dallas

Never hurts to ask.

Central Hardwood Specialties - Dallas Hardwood and Flooring

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I ended up going to Home Depot in Allen, and they had a lot better selection, and the sheets looked better. It looks like $40 is about what a full 4x8 sheet of birch runs in the city, but the Allen store has the quarter sheets of plywood and MDF which the first one I visited didn't.

Central Hardwoods looks like they have a good selection, maybe I can check them out when I get my machine built and start to actually cut stuff. Also, while Google-ing, I found a place in Richardson called Wood World that looks like they might have a good selection too.