586,471 active members*
4,128 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Wannabe Lasercutter Owner

Hi all - (and many thanks Zax !)

I have been soaking up info for a couple of months on chinese lasers. Sure, it'd be nice to get a US or Euro laser, but it's not intended for constant use (semi professional only) and besides, the price differential is really huge.

Well honestly, I'm a bit confused - there are so many machines, and a lot of them look the same (bar the colour scheme) - what gives here ? Are they all fundamentally the same units / parts ?

I know that I want to cut card, 3mm ply and 3 and 5 mm acrylic (possibly thin ABS too). From what I've read, I need a 40 or 50 W laser and I want a 300 x 500 table - or there abouts. I've had a recommendation for York Laser - their 350D product that a French guy has been having a lot of fun with (nio's stuff » “Ichiro”). He seems to have paid 2000 ish Euros including import tax et al - that seems ok to me.

Perhaps all these machines are good enough for my needs - then it's a question of finding a supplier to trust when things don't quite go to plan - as can happen : )

So - I realise there's some risk in buying direct from China - but I did it before with a vinyl cutter - (which has been brilliant) - and support here in the UK is not always all that flash anyway - so I'm up for the challenges ahead.

What I'm really looking for is recommendations - given the parameters above (3 & 5 mm acrylic, 3 mm ply and various cards and so on). A smaller desktop machine would be fine (can you really keep it on a desk ?) - but not if that means I lose flexibility. I'm also wanting software that's reasonably flexible - and some of these boxes driven by newlydraw appears limited and others by something more open-ended like lasercut (which allows multiple passes etc)

Any and all comments and recommendations would be very gratefully received - thanks 4 reading !

Jol

First of all my advice choose more powerful chinese tube for cutting - 80-100 Wt.
    Ask HPC Lasers for quote - at least you will have hassle free delivery and service.

Jol,

Yes - they all look the same as they're built from similar components, all copies of the same designs.

Most of the assemblers are in Jinan China as are the component manufacturers, so an assembler just selects the pieces and puts the system together. So they all look similar but depending on the selections you'll either get a giant paperweight or a really great deal!

I am sure you want the latter like most of us, so here are some things to look for and avoid:

If it uses NewlySeal, run the other way FAST unless you are just going to replace the driver board and use Mach3 or another solution.

NewlyDraw in my opinion is more than satisfactory as a driver but you will need some CAD/design software (Corel is sufficient). It does have a learning curve but is simple so learning it doesn't take long. Lasercut is better, but you'll still want design software.

OK, so that's the software - now the hardware.

Many of these systems claim FDA/CE approval but a quick look at many tells you there is no way they could have been tested - instead they are using a 'type code' from another vendor that was tested. If it doesn't have an EMO switch (typically a large red button) on the top/front panel it is unlikely to be approved - these need to lock out and isolate the motors and laser. It will also require interlocks on the panels that could expose laser radiation, so the main cabinet, laser access door at a minimum.

The other fine points like the driver board and firmware are more difficult to tell so your best bet is a known supplier. I prefer not to recommend people because they may sell one unit today but another next month, but Coletechcnc on ebay is probably as good a place as any to start.

Professional 60w CO2 Laser Engraver/Cutter 9060 + CE on eBay (end time 07-Oct-10 14:00:18 BST)

This system may be more expensive than you were thinking, but it would do everything you want now and be expandable later for thicker materials.

Contact him for a 'deal' and if possible get air freight from DHL at that price!

Brand New 40w/50w Desktop CO2 Laser Engraver(60X40cm) on eBay (end time 04-Oct-10 14:46:00 BST)

This system may be more in your budget and would be fine too, but I always recommend to upgrade to air - it arrives faster and causes you less problems.

Expect to pay VAT on top, but other charges should be included. You will want to confirm this with the seller.

There may be some UK resellers too, those would up-charge at least 10% but may be worth it. If they're adding >20% just buy direct, it isn't difficult if you do it right.

Yes the desktop models really do sit on a table but would probably be too small for your use.

Zax.

Many thanks Zax - many thanks Litografa !

You're right - Coletech appear to have a lot of very happy recipients - this has got to be - as you say - a good starting point

My other best option is HPC here in the UK - which has been recommended by several people - but I'm still waiting for a response from them (I think they are waiting on product) and am unsure as yet what their markup is.

Obviously getting an answer from a guy in the UK is better - if he's not a scoundrel that is - and we breed a lot of those here in the UK : ) Still more than a couple of people have said he's good !

I gather he's in Halifax - which is only 2 hours from me in Newcastle. If I need to pay a visit, it's easy. China - well ... not so much

Thanks again all ! I'll keep on reading and keep on asking stupid questions

Laser cutter

It would be worth your time to check out Kern Lasers. Located in the US. I use their lasers for job shop. The lasers are sealed metal tubes. They are much more stable than the glass tubes made in china.