586,138 active members*
3,509 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lightbulb easiest to use windows based program

anyone have an opinion on the easiest to use program that is windows based? or is there any reason not to use a windows based program? i also want the ability to drop in DXF files from Cadkey and be able to run those.

any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

i'm new to this and really don't know what i'm looking for, so keep that in mind. this software is to run my 8x30 mill (G1005 style). i can do the hardware but i'm lost on software. i am using gecko drives and servo motors with encoders if that makes a difference.

Easy is a relative term....

I can't say one way or another if something is "Easy" or not. With CNC it's either all complicated, or all simple, depends on you.

For me, Autocad is the worst drafting tool ever created and CADKEY is about the easiest, but I think there are tens of thousands of people that would dissagree with me.

I have plenty of industrial experience with CNC machines and a wide variety of controls and only tried two hobby style CNC controller applications:

KCAM
    MACH3 www.artofcnc.ca

Kcam is basic and simple - and that is where the road begins and ends.

MACH3 on the other hand can be pretty simple if you keep things simple. If you want a lot of power, features, abilitiy to change things, create your own cycles, alter the appearance of screens, work with servos or steppers, interface with industrial PLCs, then MACH3 is also a good choice.

I have not tried all the hobby CNC controllers out there, so keep in mind my position and point of view. I highly recommend MACH3 software - download and try it out for free and there is plenty of support on the yahoo group for it.

My search ended with MACH, I frankly have no desire to look at other controller applications unless they can beat the price and performance of MACH.

Sorry to sound like a pitch man, I am, but not for the company that makes MACH3 software. I just believe in the product and enjoy the raw power it provides me.

Hope this helps a bit, I know it can be overwhelming in the search for the ultimate CNC control software.

Chris D.

Quote Originally Posted by Runner4404spd
    anyone have an opinion on the easiest to use program that is windows based? or is there any reason not to use a windows based program? i also want the ability to drop in DXF files from Cadkey and be able to run those.

any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

i'm new to this and really don't know what i'm looking for, so keep that in mind. this software is to run my 8x30 mill (G1005 style). i can do the hardware but i'm lost on software. i am using gecko drives and servo motors with encoders if that makes a difference.

Mach2/3 is the only Windows based CNC controller that can deliver consistently good performance without needing additional hardware to generate step pulses.

I have seen KCAM running just fine on a slower running machine though.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

are the dos based controllers better? i am building a computer strictly for cnc purposes. let me know what i need. how much ram, what processor speed, etc.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ger21
    Mach2/3 is the only Windows based CNC controller that can deliver consistently good performance without needing additional hardware to generate step pulses.
    Does that make it easier, or harder to use, compared to other Windows controller programs?

Fred Smith - IMService
    http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/hobby