586,160 active members*
3,577 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Y axis servo motor chattering below 100 inches a min!

Y axis servo motor chattering below 100 inches a min!

I checked the ball screw. Checked oil on the ways. Checked the contacks. Still geting viberation in the table at low feed in y axis. Could it be the servo?

What machine is this?

Hurco bmc2416 98model Ultimax 3

Ok. Is it a sort of whining noise that gets worse the further to the front the table gets?
    If so, it may be the thrust bearings have lost their preload or the ballscrew has backlash that is setting up oscillation in the servo loop. You could prove it out by lowering the gain on the servo amp for the Y-axis.
    Have a look in the control cabinet and let me know if one of the servo amps has a little display unit attached to it (about an inch and a half square with an LED display). It'll be towards the top of the servo amp.

Not really a whinning noise when i move the table in y axis. Just the normal sound. The servo amplifiers have no led screen. Just green lights. I will try to post a video tommrow. The table just chaters/viberates at low feed rates. You can see the chatter marks in the parts but it is only in y axis moves.

I tried to balance out the servo this morning in the service mode. This did not work. I am now gonna try and switch the x axis servo with the y axis servo and see if i have the same problem.

Ok bloke changed the servos still have the same problem. Then i went into service mode. Then servo tuning and incresed the gain form one to two. And the viberation got much worse. How do i turn the gain down from one?

Which parameter did you adjust? You should reduce Proportional gain to reduce servo response.
    I don't have my work laptop fired up at the minute to see what the parameter should be. If you reduce it, it may be worth reducing the X axis gain to suit.

Edit to add:
    What software are you using in the machine? Press the input key and it will tell you near the top of the page.

I adjusted the y axis paramater. The x axis is smooth as silk. How do I reduce proportional gain? My master program is "mill system version 2.15 oct 26 1999"

Go to the servo tuning page in the hidden diagnostics (auxiliary, enter, 100, enter, system tuning, servo tuning, standard parameters, Y-axis).
    In the tune parameters, there will be a list that appears on the left side of the screen that should look like:

Integral
    Proportional
    Feedforward
    Derivative

and so on. What you will need to change is the value in Proportional (make a note of the original value so you can go back to it if needed).
    When done, keep pressing "exit" until it says about saving the changes - press yes and continue to exit until you are back at the auxiliary page.
    If necessary, go back in and reduce it further until the vibration stops.

Bloke your the best, that fixed it. Still got a little bit of a bump when changing direction. But i think that is normal. Thanks for helping a yank out.

Glad to hear it, fella!
    Have a good weekend.