586,898 active members*
3,910 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: EDM Training

EDM Training

Is there anywhere that offers training on EDM machine operation. I went to school for CNC programming years ago and never encountered anything about EDM. I have been doing some research to find training or a 5 day/2 week/crash course training on EDM but have not found much.

The company I work for is heading in the direction of overmolding electric cables and I know an EDM would be nice to have to cut the cavities. The molds we were purchasing were roughed on a 3 axis cnc and then finished with an EDM. Is there a huge amount to learn to run an EDM? I am in the position right now to pick out the equipment that I will need to completely build the molds in-house. We currently have the equipment to build the molds out of aluminum and with basic geometry but with the right equipment could replicate the quality that we were purchasing (hardened tool steel with more complex geometry).

I am located in upstate NY.

Thanks

Training

Sinker EDM's and the training involved to run them... As with any other type of technology, it begins with the machine's manufacturer. If your company already has machines on-sight, then contact the manufacturer of the machine. If you are possibly going to purchase a machine, then most distributor's will be able to hook you up with factory training. If you buy a used machine from Ebay or similar - you'll be paying out of pocket for the specific training for that particular brand of machine.

I've been a Wire EDM guy since the late '80's. You can't go wrong with www.mitsubishi-world.com - Their support is 2nd to none as far as I'm concerned.

Good Luck!
    www.videotech.ws
    .....programs for the Wire EDM Artist / opening soon

thanks. so would it even be possible to attempt to figure it out without training going from all of the research I have done? I have taken some online training. Is there just too much stuff to know to run one? It would be a sinker EDM. In my opinion I dont think one could run a CNC VMC without training but from what I can see there is much less to running an EDM, but by no means would i call it easy. I'm just thinking of the variables involved.

???

EDM

You should get a machine that has conversational programming, this makes it way easier to program simple or complex parts.