586,724 active members*
3,883 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

4'x8' Table Build

Hi all,
    About Dec of 09 I bought a Hypertherm Powermax 45 (I love it). Being a gearhead and a machinist with both a VMC and Turning center, I immediately decided I had to build a CNC table. I've been designing and pontificating for the better part of the last 6 months and 2 weeks ago I finally ran out of excuses and got enough time to start building the frame and water pan. One of my criteria was that I was able to move the table easily as the lease I have on my shop space may not last too much longer. I also liked the idea of a bolt together frame to eliminate the distortion problems caused by the heat of welding. I'm probably over way over thinking things, but I'm used to thinking in .001" and wanted to be as precise as possible. So of course this means that I spent more time and probably more money than was necessary building the frame. All the brackets were milled and all the holes were drilled and reamed for .5"x 2.25" ground shoulder bolts. Here are some pictures of the milling of the brackets (apologies if I got a little arty on one or two of them). The last few are of assembly of the frame, welding of the water pan and finally the frame pan assembly as it sits today. I think the next step is to cut and drill the main lengths that will hold the rails for the gantry. I think it has kind of a 1920's Railway truss/ Penn Station look to it.

More when I can.

PS. Thanks to everyone here who have posted their build thread and photos. They have all been a big inspiration.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brackets.JPG   In the cut 1.jpg   In the cut3.jpg   Chips.jpg  

Bracket n Chips.jpg   Bracket finnished.JPG   Brackets op1.JPG   Leg.JPG  

Table and leg.JPG   P1000116.JPG   P1000167.JPG   P1000170.JPG  

P1000173.JPG   P1000174.JPG  

nice job..

what are you going to use for controllers (i would highly recommend candcnc if you havent decided)

arty pics are nice.. i wish i have the habit of taking nice pics or even taking pics

what is the sizes of your machine?

looking forward to see your progress on the machine..

nevermind about sizes i was reading the whole message twice and didnt even look at the subject..

MIcrodot that is a trick table if I ever saw one. Around here they call that "overgroovin'".....not necessarily a bad thing. Waiting for the next installment...........jb

Microdot,

Awesome work on the table. Considering all the design work and attention to detail you have put into the frame, I can't wait to see the gantry!

Magma-joe

Microdot,

How is the table build coming along?

Magma-joe

Quote Originally Posted by magma-joe View Post
    Microdot,

How is the table build coming along?

Magma-joe
    Slowly. I have the water table and tank finished and am just waiting on the rails for the main gantry. I have the steppers, timing gears and a piece of 8020 AL extrusion for the gantry. I just haven't had time to make new parts. Maybe after the holiday I'll have some time.

microdot, that's a sweet looking table you got going there. Nice design on the brackets and bolt together idea.

I like those leveling feet, but I doubt they will work in this situation. When the gantry changes direction, the whole machine will likely sway (which is what those feet are normally used for) and you may see that in the final cut. Any thoughts on that?

What kind of VMC do you have?

Paul

Got some time tonight to work on things. i picked up a couple of linear rails on Ebay as well as a 56" piece of 8020 extrusion (3060 15S). Tonight i drilled and tapped the 50 M4X0.7mm holes to mount to the rail to the 8020 or what will be the gantry arm. I got 93" linear rails from PCB Linear and mounted them to the table and now I have to work out the Arm support and the Stepper and pulley placement. Here are a few pics of the linear rails mounted to the 8020. I can remember to bring my camera to the shop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bridge1.jpg   Bridge2.jpg   Bridge3.jpg   Bridge4.jpg  

Bridge5.jpg  

And a Pic of the water table more or less done...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wtable1.jpg  

Nice Work!!!!

microdot,

Your table is shaping up very nicely, I will be looking forward to your gantry build... You are entering the stage of your build that seems like it is going to take years but just keep pushin and youll be cutting in no time...

I think the feet will work fine. The only way they could swivel during use is if the whole table frame racked. I would use the feet you have.