586,379 active members*
3,454 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > New build design input and critique

New build design input and critique

Been lurking for over two years and I've finally decided to try my hand at a build. I still have many questions and was hoping for some input.

Main objective is cutting double faced Melamine and hardwood ply for Euro cabinet boxes, so a good bit of hole drilling would also be involved. Ability to handle up to 3/4" aluminum would be great even if at a much reduced speed. Over all speed isn't as important as repeatability and quality of cuts. A vacuum bed that can accommodate 5' x 10' material with 6" of 'Z' axis travel rounds out the wish list.

Idea so far is a welded square tube frame with steel plinth base supports that will be bolted to an 8" floor slab. The gantry is to be an aluminum torsion box cross beam and legs. Was thinking of using a complete MachMotion stepper package to simplify the electronics and drive. Linear bearings and ball screw drives for 'Y' and 'Z', and possibly an Atlanta split pinion R&P on the 'X' axis.

A tool changing spindle around 5-6 h.p. with the tool changer being the linear rack style along one end of the bed. Also like to be able to later add a 4th axis if it wasn't too difficult. I'm still learning Rhino so was thinking of adding RhinoCam to work with the MACH III that MachMotion supplies.

Everything that I've considered that was ready built with these capabilities was either too pricey or poorly supported.

Many thanks to all that contribute to these forums for their help and inspiration. :cheers:
    If you can't fix it with a hammer it's electrical.

Thats quite the wish list. Expect to pay over $25000 for all that.. probably more.

post some more information of actual parts or a few sketches of the machine and you can get some advice.

If you're doing cabinet parts, I'm not sure if RhinoCAM is the best choice. You want something that'll nest your parts in your sheet.

Do you plan to draw all your parts individually in Rhino, or do you use a cabinet package that outputs .dxf files?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)