586,416 active members*
3,413 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Plasma cutter power source - an old TIG.

Have been lurking around here way to long..
    So i have this gantry table setup, and have been pondering.. Power source for the plasma.. Sure i could go out buy a brand new plasma cutter.. But why? When i have this ESAB Tigma150 TIG welder lying around.

It has ESAB standard connectors and a trigger port for the TIG welder handle and some gas througput also..

Shouldnt this machine be able to run a cutting torch head? I have been poking around Ebay not sure what to get..

Any suggestions? And yes i'm aware an external compressor will be necessary.
    But think about this, this welder can put out 80Amps of continous power, and up 100 Amps at a 80%, 130Amps at 60% and 150amps at .. prob 20% to be real.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoTech View Post
    Sure i could go out buy a brand new plasma cutter.. But why? When i have this ESAB Tigma150 TIG welder lying around.
    Why should you buy a plasma cutter? Because you have a TIG welder, not a plasma cutter. Thats like asking why you should buy a saw if you already have a hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoTech View Post
    But think about this, this welder can put out 80Amps of continous power, and up 100 Amps at a 80%, 130Amps at 60% and 150amps at .. prob 20% to be real.
    True, the average TIG power source will put out higher amperages compared to an average plasma power supply, but the TIG source will not put out anywhere near the amount of voltage that is required for plasma cutting.

Most TIG welding is done with less than 15 volts, even at the higher amperages (personally, I keep a tight arc and rarely go above 10V at 200 Amps) and TIG power sources usually will not put out much more than 25V. However, plasma cutting requires (I believe) about 80V minimum just for thin material and even higher voltages as the material gets thicker.

In short, no, you can't use you TIG welder as a plasma cutter.

Well thank you for claryfying. cause i thought it would work cause i find all these combo machines and i figured it was just a DC powersource that was required..

So now, i feel schooled and back to the drawing board..

Guys it's a little off topic, BUT....

I happen to have an older blender....I used to make milkshakes with it..

Can I turn down the voltage and use it to wash my socks?

I know I need to add some oscillation to the the blade after I make it dull.

I just thought that this MAY work!