Hi Guys

I am planning on building a CNC Plasma Table and have some questions on it's design. I am planning to weld up the frame out of tubular steel. For the X axis I will likely use a set of Linear Rails I happen to have let over from an other project. For the Y axis I was thinking of using either a set of grooved wheels or I may just purchase another Linear Rail. Will be using some smaller Linear Rails for the Z axis along with a Ball Screw for movement. For drive motors, I will be using Servo again just because I happen to have a set along with Gecko G320 Servo Drives.

(Questions)

(1) What are your thoughts on using grooved wheels running on the edge of a steal plate? Does this give you good axis movement?

(2a) What would you recommend for the drive method? I am think of either Rack & Pinion or possibly a tooth Belt setup? (See (2b) below.

(2b) Are there any issue with accuracy, stretch or wear with the tooth Belt?

(3) Is a primary reduction required between the Servo Motors and Drive system? I didn't think this was required with Servo Motors?

(4) What would you recommend for a Torch Height Control? Are there kits available? Who?

(5) Who is selling parts to build CNC equipment?

Would appreciate any suggestions on building this CNC Table. I have been working my way through any interesting topics in the Plasma section of the CNC Zone.
Also interested in looking at any build articles for CNC Plasma Tables?

Thanks you for your help with my enquiry and questions.

Regards

Willy