586,475 active members*
3,410 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123
    Brilliant work Hannu - that looks really great.

Tweakie.
    CNC is only limited by our imagination.

Pablo,

My apologies for linking Mayan and Aztec as though they are the same.

I was always (since school) told that this calendar was Aztec but I have since learned that the Mayans were the skilled builders / craftsmen and probably the true creators of this stone masterpiece.
    Because nobody is completely sure of the origin Mayan (Aztec) seems to cover both possibilities.

Tweakie.

The Mayans were a post-Aztec civilization, the calendar as depicted in the artwork in this forum is Aztec ( except that middle graphic, that has to be modern )This is a MESOAMERICAN calendar used by lots of civilizations. Here's a Wiki link for more info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aztec_calendar

Hi Guys,

After breaking a couple of router bits in voids in the crap plywood I had been given to profile cut I have gained a bit of spare machine time to play with the laser whilst I wait for the new bits to arrive.
    This image has been cut to FSE’s dimensions in Oak and is probably equal to their quality but as they refuse to put up a higher resolution image, despite my repeated requests, we will perhaps never really know.
    I had not cut anything into Oak before and it was quite a learning experience. It requires about 30% less power than engraving laminate and is considerably less noisy (hard engraving laminate makes quite a racket when you start chewing into it with a laser) also, as Fantasy2 and others had suspected, the sharp corners char more readily than the flat surfaces and this has the effect of smoothing the contours of the image.
    This example was cut with a vertical (Y Axis) stepover of 0.08mm and horizontal (Y Axis) feedrate of 4500mm per minute. The total time from loading the .BMP to completing the work was 19 minutes (not as fast as FSE but my X Axis also carries the Z Axis which usually holds a 3 Phase spindle router motor. This combined mass limits my acceleration / deceleration and maximum federate over such short distances – thus the extra time. If anyone is interested in the details of my machine there is the full build history and lots more junk on my website here http://www.cooperman.talktalk.net/ ).
    Although I can continue to reduce the vertical stepover I think that any possible increase in resolution is probably outweighed by the increase in job completion time.
    What do you Guys think – is this as good as the FSE example or should I cut another with smaller stepover ?. Like to know your views.

Tweakie.

nb. This was produced using the Mach3 Impact Engraving / Laser Plugin which is freely available for download from the Artsoft website http://www.machsupport.com/plugins.php
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00515a.jpg  

Looks good Tweakie.. Here is a photo of ours as well. its about 2.3 inches. Photo is a little blurry and I can try to get a better photo later.
    This was done with our 40w machine table size of 23.6 x 11.8 " running lasercut 5.3
    But if you look at that guys earlier post he said it was engraved on maple... now here he says its oak.

Dean

www.legacylasers.com

Tweakie,

Your engraving looks great to me ( aswell your web-sites )

Cheers Dean,

Your's looks also fabulous - could you tell the settings you've used ?

Best regards
    Hannu

You guys need to stop posting all these wonderful pictures its killing me! haha I need a laser!

Quote Originally Posted by D.Novakowski View Post
    Looks good Tweakie.. Here is a photo of ours as well. its about 2.3 inches. Photo is a little blurry and I can try to get a better photo later.
    This was done with our 40w machine table size of 23.6 x 11.8 " running lasercut 5.3
    But if you look at that guys earlier post he said it was engraved on maple... now here he says its oak.

Dean

www.legacylasers.com

Hannu,

How you been ! The settings I used for this was Speed 500 and Power 75 with 40w.

Dean Novakowski

www.legacylasers.com

Here is another one on a white ceramic tile. The tile is 11.5 x 11.5 "

Dean Novakowski

www.legacylasers.com

Tweakie,
    You have a very informative web site, thank you for sharing!

I'm with diyengineer....I need a Laser......

Paul

Shame I don't sell lasers - got two potential customers here

Dean,

That etching on the tile is great, so much detail.

Tweakie.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweakie View Post
    Shame I don't sell lasers - got two potential customers here

Dean,

That etching on the tile is great, so much detail.

Tweakie.
    Maybe you should start selling them, and possibly kits haha

Tweakie,
    From whom did you get your laser?

Thanks,
    Paul

Hi Paul,

The various laser parts came from all over the world.
    The tube, mirrors and mounts from USA ; the PSU from China ; the focus lens from Israel ; pump from Korea ; the linear slides and ballscrews were purchased in the UK but made in Japan. And so the list goes on - wonderful thing the internet

Tweakie.

One final free advert for FSE.

Tweakie.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00520a.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Tweakie View Post
    One final free advert for FSE.
    Tweakie.
    I think you need a disclaimer on those 'ads' that these were not produced on the systems FSE sell or you could slap your 'Tweakie' tag on them instead.

Zax.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Novakowski View Post
    Hannu,

How you been ! The settings I used for this was Speed 500 and Power 75 with 40w.

Dean Novakowski

www.legacylasers.com
    Dean,

I've been fine - I hope you also !! Everything working just nice, except I had a little algae problem (due our warm and moisty summer weather) - I made some little mix of distilled water / algae killer / cooling liquid - since the water has been as bright as possible - no problems - ( thanks for the settings ! )

Best regards
    Hannu

Re: Mayan (Aztec) Calendar.

Hi Guys,
    I've finished my first object with the CNC ( the CNC I've designed from scratch), welcomes any comments.
    Thank you.
    Attachment 261616
    Attachment 261618
    Attachment 261620

Quote Originally Posted by ztoti View Post
    Hi Guys, I've finished my first object with the CNC ( the CNC I've designed from scratch), welcomes any comments. Thank you.
    Here's a comment...

Start a new thread instead of necroposting.
    http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver

Re: Mayan (Aztec) Calendar.

Quote Originally Posted by ztoti View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I've finished my first object with the CNC ( the CNC I've designed from scratch), welcomes any comments.
    Thank you.
    Attachment 261616
    Attachment 261618
    Attachment 261620
    Very nice job Ztoti!

I remember the first time I ran it up on a 600mm x 600mm board it almost killed the PC running the cnc! It's a lot of processing to do that design, but yours came out really well!

If your self built machine can do that, you should be very pleased.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Page 2 of 3 123