586,956 active members*
2,996 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > spindle power vs speed vs torque in a small mill

Threaded View

spindle power vs speed vs torque in a small mill

so, im working on a spindle project. the goal is to achieve the best performance possible and advanced features, while still keeping its size and pricing in the upper end of the hobby market.

in tweaking performance with available motors in this price point, you come up against a bit of a dilema.

where do you draw the line sacrificing low end torque for usable high end speed?

ive been talking to some custom motor builders and ive outlined 3 of my possible options in the attached chart. ive also outlined the fanuc robodrill high speed spindle as something of a dream target, and my colombo rv55 air cooled router spindle as a practical inexpensive high speed option.

as you can see, if i try to match the fanucs low end torque, i limit myself to 8000rpm or so. if i try to best its top end performance at 24000rpm, i have fairly weak low speed performance. the sweeter spot is in the middle at 12000rpm.

in all instances, im at least 75% more powerful than the colombo at any speed. note that all of these examples have some higher intermittent torque available.

so, if you were looking for a versatile spindle for your small sized mill (hobby or industrial), which of the 3 custom motors would you pick and why?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spindle_motor_torque.jpg