586,588 active members*
3,006 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Newcastle: Beginning of build plan

Hi guys,

I live in Newcastle. I've toyed with the idea of a CNC mill for years, but never done anything about it. I was impressed with what a friend of a friend's a cheap little kit was able to do and have decided to build something myself.

My thoughts are very preliminary so far. I don't actually have a specific product that I want to produce with this machine, it's more about making it.

Choice of linear motion:
    I popped into a couple of the bearing suppliers in town, and it seems like I'm looking at ~4.50 per standard skate bearing. At that price I'd think it would be better to do this sort of bearings.
    Is there a list of good suppliers? The list here is from 2004 and fairly useless.
    Also popped in to Alspec aluminium, they only had quite simple extrusions, nothing to come close to 8020 sort of stuff. Is that available locally?

Ideally I'd like to end up with a machine that can handle plastics, aluminium and copper. Probably only need a work area of 300mm x 300mm x 50mm for that stuff, though if I'm building one that will only really handle wood and plastics I'd probably aim a fair bit bigger.

Tools on hand are drive, circular saw, small cheap drill press, cheap GMC router.
    At my dads place in Blue Mountains I've got a metal lathe and mill, but I'm only down there for a day or two every few months.

G'day Pippin88,

I too am in Newy. Currently building an MDF CNC (see build thread link below). Using skate bearings for X & Y axis and linear bearings for the Z axis. Got my skate bearings from VXB.com (US), 50 bearings in total for $58 US including shipping. The linear bearings and shafts I got from the same ebay mob you've looked at. Product seems good (for price....) and prompt service, although they haven't been given a work-out yet!

I priced some 8020 al (25-5010, 50mm x 100mm T-slot) from http://www.8020.com.au/ (Seven Hills, Sydney) and the quote came back at $320 for a 4metre length! Unfortunately not in my budget! Haven't investigated if it's available anywhere else in Aus.

This forum has a wealth of information, it just takes time to find it......! Try also http://www.woodworkforums.com for Aussie built metal and timber DIY CNC.

Good luck mate. Keep an eye on this forum, there is possibly going to be a get togethor bbq for interested Newcastle people soon.
    - Craig.
    my JOES2006 build thread - http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106995

Economics???

Quote Originally Posted by craigjh View Post
    Currently building an MDF CNC
    Forgive me, but ...
    Given how much anyone will have to spend on the software (Mach3?), the servo amplifiers, the motors, the encoders (if not steppers), the drive screws, the bearings, etc, I don't understand the use of MDF instead of something more substantial for the frame. Nor do I understand the use of soft aluminium angle for the ways instead of a few lengths of ground steel rod.

Just how much can you save by going the MDF route (out of what total)? Seriously?

Cheers

For an alternative to the 80/20 extrusion, you could try AME.
    Their extrusion range is not as large as 80/20, the biggest they carry is 80x80, but is considerably cheaper.
    Regards
    Geoff

Question

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    Forgive me, but ...

Just how much can you save by going the MDF route (out of what total)? Seriously?

Cheers
    I see a DIY build more as a learning process (especially the first build.....) and I guess you're limited to using the tools and materials that you have and are comftable with. This translates into a timber build for some, an aluminium build for others, and a steel build for the rest.

Not sure what you mean by the "soft aluminium angle for the ways" comment.

Some of the variety of the MDF DIY builds are producing fantastic results and, more importantly, giving a few of us an introduction to CNC. Including materials, software, motors, electronics, hardware, etc, my machine will come in around $1500. I don't include my labour cost in that due to it currently being a "hobby".
    - Craig.
    my JOES2006 build thread - http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106995

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm more seriously looking into purchasing a mini mill and converting it at the moment.
    Metal, and to a lesser extent plastic, have always been my materials of choice.
    Hopefully I can end up with both.

I'm looking at the X2 from Hare&Forbes. $869.00.
    Are BF20 clones available in Aus?

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88

I'm more seriously looking into purchasing a mini mill and converting it at the moment.

Sounds like somebody has been following the mighty Hoss like I have.
    The only supplier I have found so far has been Titan machinery

Todd

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post

Sorry I forgot about another ...

McJing