586,190 active members*
3,799 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > G203V- Is it the Design or suppose to behave like this? Few Questions...

G203V- Is it the Design or suppose to behave like this? Few Questions...

I have just received the 4 Gecko G203V drive and am very happy... I am currently studying the wiring schema... During installation at my Control Panel i found abnormality in one of the drive...

The Picture will explain better, However i narrating here what i feel wrong.

The Drive has 04 semi-circle holes at the bottom anodized plate for mounting on the Heat sink... When i attached the drive to the heat sink then i checked the connectivity / isolation of the drive with multimeter..

1- When i attached one stick of multimeter to Power ground connector (Terminal 1) and the Other to the heatsink..The buzzer beep.

2- When i attached one stick of multimeter to Terminal 2 (The +VDC) and the other to the heat sink. The Buzzer beep.

3- When i attached the one stick of multimeter to Current set resistor connector and the other stick to heat sink the buzzer beep...

4- Their is no beep sound for the rest of the connectors with heat sink.

The rest of the three drives do not give beep on these holes locations because the anodizing is intact there.

Troubleshooting:
    On close inspection of the 04 semi-circle holes at the bottom anodized plate, i found that two holes have a little naked at the top and the anodizing is missing. When the screw is tightened to the heat sink this makes the circuit complete and buzzer beep.

I removed the G203V from the heat sink and made some more tests:
    1- I attached the stick of the Multimeter to Powerground (Terminal 1), Power +VDC (terminal2) and the current set connector and the other stick to anodized body for each terminal and NOTHING HAPPENED.

2- I 1- I attached the stick of the Multimeter to Power ground (Terminal 1), Power +VDC (terminal2) and the current set connector and the other stick to non-anodized part of the base plate semi-circle hole, and the beep continuously rung..

Based on above observations, Is their anything wrong with the Drive?... Why the bell ring? Any explanation?.. Is it the design of G203V to behave like this?

MY SECOND QUESTION:

Attached is the Sketch of my BOB.. I want to know from where i have get the wire to install at TERMINAL10!!!.. I am confused about the COMMON GROUND?.. can you point out what is the COMMON GROUND at my BOB?

MY LAST QUESTION:

I have two power supply.
    One Power supply gives 5Vdc to my BOB and the Other Power Supply gives High Voltages to Drives. My question is:

1- I have separated the Grounds of both power supply. i.e. BOB gets +5VDC and Ground, and all the G203V drives get High Voltage Power supply and Ground. Both grounds are separate and not connected. Is this right practice?

Regards
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gecko G203V beep.JPG   bob-schema.jpg  
    http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid View Post
    I have two power supply.
    One Power supply gives 5Vdc to my BOB and the Other Power Supply gives High Voltages to Drives. My question is:

1- I have separated the Grounds of both power supply. i.e. BOB gets +5VDC and Ground, and all the G203V drives get High Voltage Power supply and Ground. Both grounds are separate and not connected. Is this right practice?

Regards
    Yes, this is correct.

It would help if we knew what model BoB that is.

The Gecko doesn't sound right, but I've not tried that test, and can't get to mine to try it. Gecko is very good about making things right, and that 203V is guaranteed against almost anything except the Taliban. One thing which will kill it dead is if a piece of metal swarf gets inside the case and shorts out the circuitry. Anything else wrong just blows the fuse.

I would suggest that if you need to keep this machine working, you need to have a few spare parts on hand, including an extra Gecko.

Quote Originally Posted by TarHeelTom View Post
    Yes, this is correct.

It would help if we knew what model BoB that is.

The Gecko doesn't sound right, but I've not tried that test, and can't get to mine to try it. Gecko is very good about making things right, and that 203V is guaranteed against almost anything except the Taliban. One thing which will kill it dead is if a piece of metal swarf gets inside the case and shorts out the circuitry. Anything else wrong just blows the fuse.

I would suggest that if you need to keep this machine working, you need to have a few spare parts on hand, including an extra Gecko.
    Hi Thanks for the reply
    I am using the DIY BOB for years on the other machines...I have only the schematic available to you.. The Ground is connected to Parallel port Pin22.

I have sent email to Gecko support. Hope they will see what is happening...
    http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

Re: G203V- Is it the Design or suppose to behave like this? Few Questions...

I know this is an old thread, but did You ever figure this out? I have 4 drives and 2 of them will ring terminal 1 to base and 2 will not.