586,332 active members*
4,395 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

325 PROC WDT FAIL

All I just bought my J325 tree from the place where I work at and I am having trouble getting it up and running. It worked fine at my workplace. I picked it up and drove about 5 miles to my home, so it didnt go halfway across the country if thats what you are thinking. When I first turned it on my control came up but nothing I did would allow me to referance the axis's. Now when I turn the machine on I get a PROC WDT FAIL light and my crt is blank. I have talked to Parts and Smarts and Dynapath and they said send them the control and they will do a dyagnostics test on it. I think it has something to do with lose wires or something simple from the short ride to my house. All my electrical voltages look good. Please help I am lost. Thanks

Have you tried reseating the boards?

Yes I reseated all the boards several times.

the voltage off the manufactured leg of some of the phase converters can be quite high. you might want to verify that your not using the manufactured leg to power the control.

I will look at that. I have three wires that go into the box on the inside of the cabinet do you know which one should be the wild leg.

I looked at all my voltages and they seemed good. I had about 245v and 248v between them all. I got these by checking wire a to b and b to c and so forth till I checked every combination. Any other suggestions that could cause the Proc WDT fail.

if you controller is set up for 115V, then you should take the measurement from each leg to ground.

the highest voltage is likely* the manufactured one. you want to make sure you are not powering the controller with the manufactured leg.

I checked all the voltages and got about 115v, 115v and 214v. Do you know what voltages should go where starting from front of the machine to the back.

my sample size is two but from what I can tell, Tree changed the wiring through the years on these machines. so what I have, might be different from what you have. but on my machine, line 21 and line 22 (labeled at the main circuit breaker in the power distribution box) are fed over to fuse 1 and fuse 2 in the control cabinet. these 115V lines then run to a step down transformer.

you'll have to evaluate your wiring, but make sure to keep the 214V (unless that's a typo) off of your step down transformer.

the WDT failure can occur for different reasons, but one is a power supply that cannot filter AC ripple/noise to the DC terminals in the supply. the method for testing this is to put your voltage meter on AC and measure the DC pins of the power supply. 30mV is the maximum allowable. the dynapath website has more info on this.

I checked my voltages coming into my control cabinet and on fuse-1 I got 143V and on fuse-2 I got 118V. This is wire to ground. I am not sure if this is right or not. The 143V sounds high to me.

yeah its too high. the power supply is only rated for 130V. shoot me a pm and ill send you a set of schematics.

schematics

elnerdo, I cant send a private message to you. It says your box is full. I would really like to get those schematics from you. Thanks

so you've taken the control off of the manufactured leg and your still having a problem?

you might also check the ac ripple on the dc power supply. this will tell you if your power supply is bad which can also cause the wdt failure. the dynapath site explains how to do this.

Do I need any special tools to check the ac ripple besides a voltmeter? Can I disconnect everything and just hook up the power to check for the ac ripple?

all you need is a voltmeter. i would keep the machine in the condition in the same condition you plan on running it in. im not 100% certain of this, but if you have noisy input power you're probably more likely to have increased noise/ripple on the dc power.

Thanks for your help. I have a technician coming tonight to look at it. I hope he fines something small wrong with it. I am tired of trying to diagnose this problem. It is really hard when you dont know much about electronics. I will probably send it to Parts and Smarts if he cant fix it. Thanks again.