586,080 active members*
3,743 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > EG&G TORQUE SYSTEMS PMDC servo & MOTRONICS PMDC motor Specs ???
Page 3 of 3 123
    Al, the free Kollmorgen Motioneering(tm) program is still free from Kollmorgen too:

http://kollmorgen.com/website/com/en...tioneering.php

this way from the source you can be sure to get the latest version (6.1 vs Electromate's 6.0).

They must have reposted it.
    Their old site before take over by Danaher & then Parker was Motion Village, and they always had it there.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al, Mike, thanks for the links I didn't even know about the existence of such software...I'll sure give it a try.

Thanks !
    cnc2.

EG&G MT2115

Hey guys, I am 3 years too late to be of any use to the original thread poster.

I have here a EG&G PM DC field motor from a mag tape reader. I also have the schematic for the mag tape motor driver.

EG&G MT2115:
    [with tachometer]

Max Voltage: 48VDC
    Tacho Output: 5V = 1845rpm
    10V = 3733rpm
    And its drawing 310mA with no load.

Hi ShadowCoil & welcome to the Zone !

Thanks for posting those specs, please go ahead and post what everything you've got, it might come in handy to someone someday
    Do you have max current (Amp) rating for those motors ?

I've recently got an EG&G with a tacho and 500cpr optical encoder but the model number was scratched from the sticker, so please post a pic of your motor it might be the same as mine.
    Did it have a belt drive (pulley) or a lead screw attached ?

Thanks !
    cnc2.

Quote Originally Posted by cnc2 View Post
    I've recently got an EG&G with a tacho and 500cpr optical encoder but the model number was scratched from the sticker, so please post a pic of your motor it might be the same as mine.
    The EG&G motors are made by CMC (Cleveland Machine Controls) you most likely will find that motor on their site, with the same part No.s
    I have all the old catalogues from them with the specs also.
    If you post the dimensions and a Pic if possible, I could probably identify it.
    Al.

Albert E.

Hi Al,

Here are the pics, the motor is ~57mm in diameter. Do you have an idea about what are the red and green dots meant to be used for ? (for a stroboscope maybe ? but why ? the red and green dots are at an angle from each other on the shaft)

BTW, looking at the encoder it's all through hole components in there, if there's no rare/programmed parts it'd be possible to build clones of this circuit and use the encoder wheels found in those disposable inkjet printers...I'm no EE so I have no idea about what that component with the white knobs might be, with some help we might be able to make some cheap DIY encoders.

Thanks !
    cnc2.

It seems a very crude style of encoder, as far as modern design goes, those are three pots with sealing compound on them to lock in place, the just seems to be a couple of OP amps and a couple of transistors.
    It most likely uses Moire effect detection so a pulse rate of 500/rev is hard to reproduce without this method.
    I have never seen those red/green dots ever, but I am assuming it is some kind of application specific alignment or refers to the coupling alignment for disassembly etc?
    If you need the motor specs, what is the full part number and motor length OA?
    Al.

Albert E.

Hi Guys, I have some more info about the EG&G MT-2115

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zkskm7w9duayqnn/1Q5YbXoKWl

The dropbox link has an excel sheet with some measured speeds and applied motor voltage and current under no load.
    To measure the speed I just used an arduino with a hall sensor and a little magnet.

The torque is calculated.

There is also an image.

Now i am going to try and set up active braking with a delta PLC so it actively resists being turned when in the stopped state... should be fun. ^_^

CNC2

That does appear to be the same one I have here, only mine doesn't have the encoder on the back, just the voltage output tachometer, The rear two terminals.

Each of the 2100 series comes in Eight winding/torque versions, including the 2115.
    If the exact part number is not know, the actual version can be found from the BEMF.
    IOW, if the motor is back fed/rotated the V/1krpm measured indicates exactly which version and torque values etc.
    If rotated at anything other than 1krpm the value can be extrapolated.
    If you find this out, I can give you an exact spec for the motor, it has to be fairly close as there is only a couple of volt difference between versions.
    They range from 4.5v to 21.4v/krpm for the 2115's.
    Al.

Albert E.

If you need the motor specs, what is the full part number and motor length OA?
    Motor length is ~130mm without encoder and ~148mm from mounting plate to the rear of the shaft behind the encoder. The model number is scratched as you can see on the previous pics but it looks like MT2*** 10-704 FE code 0683 serial no 212044 the 10-704 also looks like L0-704 but ain't sure.

I also took some pics of the encoder, after a bit of reading about moire patterns you must be right, it looks like it's using the moire effect because it has a piece of encoder wheel fixed above the sensor and it looks like it is at an angle to the encoder wheel on the shaft.

The bad news is that the sensor seems to be scratched near the index channel but I ain't sure why. If you know what kind of sensor this is, let me know & please post a link to a similar part if possible.

Sorry, I had no time for voltage testing the motor.

Thanks !
    cnc2.

The cat. shows that all 2115 with modular optical encoder are 5.13", you could put any through hole encoder on as a replacement such as US Digital etc.
    The tach is not used now with modern drives in the torque mode of operation.
    Al.

Albert E.

Re: EG&G TORQUE SYSTEMS PMDC servo & MOTRONICS PMDC motor Specs ???

CNC2
    Your PM says you do not allow P.M.'s tried an answer to your question.
    Al.

Albert E.

CNC2 I am still getting the following?

The following errors occurred with your submission
    cnc2 has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove cnc2 from the recipient list and send the message again.
    Answer to your question:
    I had no info on them but I wondered what you needed to know if you had to sub them? The value is directly readable and the physical size should give a good indication of the wattage.
    What else did you really need from them?
    Al.

Albert E.

Thanks for the reply Al and sorry for the inconvenience.

Aha, so, I guess it is a permissions problem, who should I contact to lift the ban on receiving PM's ?

Well, about my question, I just wanted to know about the company & what happened to it, it's rare to see a company kind of vanish. A source of datasheets would have been a plus, but as you guessed not that critical.

Thanks !
    cnc2.

Look in your General Settings in your profile etc.
    Al.

Albert E.

oops; thought I was on last post when I wrote this and then found out I was only on like post 10! if it was already answered, please excuse this post.

Quote Originally Posted by cnc2 View Post
    Any idea on how I can know the rated current & torque ?cnc2.
    the big Motronics has a speed of around 1800 RPM (dancing between 1772 & 1800)
    So 24v/1.8krpm= 13.33 v/krpm=Kb.

Kt is same number, just different units. In your units, Kb=11.81 * Kt where Kt=#-in/amp when Kb=v/krpm units.

So your motor Kt=13.33/11.81 = 1.13 #-in/amp

Kt is independent of voltage so when you put 12v on it and slowed it with rag and it pulled 3 amps, you squeezed with 3.4#-ft of torque.... sorta low.... you should be able to squeeze with 6-10#-ft if you put your heart and soul into it

anyway, now you know how much torque your motor will put out, next to figure how many amps it can take.

Easy: it can take upto that level of amps that cause it to overheat and melt down.

So put the shaft in a vice to lock it from turning, use a small 0-12v say 5amp variable power supply and beginning at o amps turn it up to 1 amp and let it sit for 3 thermal time constants. don't know thermal time constant? find a similar physical size motor and yours will be very close. If this is a 3"dia x 5"L motor (I did not go back and look - too many pages), it has thermal TC of about 30 minutes. so put 1amp into it for an hour or so and watch temp on case. it will rise until it stops. case temp on these motors was about 90C max (200F). so to be safe, watch temp and go for say 120F. If not there with 1amp, then raise it to 1.5 or 2amp and wait another couple hours. Keep going up until you get to 120F at hottest spot on motor case and call THAT your motor's max continuous current rating. Its torque rating is then 1.13#-in times this amps.

Sorry for the late reply guys, and thanks for replying !

Al,
    I already checked everything on my settings page, I even disabled and re-enabled receiving PMs...but same result, must have been banned...might be for asking a stuuupid question to the site owner, but who knows ?

Mike,
    Your reply is just WOW ! Amazing & very informative, thank you so much !

Thanks !
    cnc2.

Page 3 of 3 123