586,404 active members*
2,882 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > modeling threads im mill x4

modeling threads im mill x4

what is the best way to model threads in mastercam x4 mill. I usually dont model threads. But I got a guy wanting threads modeled into holes. I have x4level 3 with solids.
    BE NICE TO THE NERDS IN SCHOOL. THEY ONE DAY MAY BE YOUR BOSS

The only way know of is to create a helix and sweep a profile of the the tread. If you need it exact be careful on how its set up.

Draw a side profile of the hole/screw with the "V" of the thread in it. Then use that to make a revolved cut (or a revolved body to make a screw). It's not an accurate representation of a threaded hole, but ....
    1) It will look like a threaded hole or a threaded screw..
    2) The file size will be smaller than sweeping a "V" shape around a helix.

Hope that helps.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

thanks

Glad you enjoyed that.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More

i have modeled threads in like shown it works. I was just wondering if mastercam had a function to model in the threads in true geometry
    BE NICE TO THE NERDS IN SCHOOL. THEY ONE DAY MAY BE YOUR BOSS

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mattera View Post
    Glad you enjoyed that.
    Out of 69 posts
    only 5 contain more than one word.

It's painful, so thats where the ignore list comes in handy

Quote Originally Posted by beekeeper View Post
    i have modeled threads in like shown it works. I was just wondering if mastercam had a function to model in the threads in true geometry
    You could model it correctly, file size would increase dramatically. Then if you were to use these for fixtures, clamps and so on, the mastercam file would be huge, the time taken for each save and/or autosave would also increase. The graphics screen would be dead slow for refreshing after resizing, view changing etc. It would be very un-workable.

I havn't done it, but along the lines of:-
    Create your normal blank solid, place a V on the centerline-but off the part ( close the top of the V), rotate to the lead angle, create a spline helix and develop the V along the spline, turn into a solid and subract the V(solid) from the blank(solid)

The only situation, IMO, I would use it for is part design work, but if that was the case, I would not even do it in Mastercam.

"Only 5 contain more than 1 word"

Imagine how many "Lurkers" there are out there, who read, get useful information and "don't" say thank you. At least he appreciates the information. I'm sure someday, when he has something to add, he will.

Thread/Helix:
    Created this in V8/V9. I cant find the original file, but as I remember, before the "spring" was added, the file was about 800kb. After the "spring" was added it was about 12mb. That's only 3 revolutions of a circle, around a helical curve.

As we said before, Yes you can do it. The file will get huge. Mastercam will get quirky the bigger it gets.

Mike Mattera