587,003 active members*
2,902 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

A corrupt xml can wreak havoc!

As some of you might know as of yesterday conditions in my machine had changed. All of a sudden my point of origin (where I always start my work) had moved. Like some or many of us, things are always in a state of modification. On my way home from a family reunion I picked up a MPG2, PP and interface card and have been installing it. I finally got it up and operating. I did have to set up a new profile in Mach based on the xml Cnc4Pc provides for the unit. I am not sure where the changes are yet but I do have 7-8 profiles between my lathes and mill. Just out of curiousity, I opened an old profile and loaded the same code I had been having a problem with and Voila it was back to normal. I checked it another profile of mine and it worked there too. I reopened the xml for the MPG and it was back to incorrect. I will have to go back thru the xml and see what the variables are. Just wanted to update anyone who was wondering why I continue this hobby! Thanks for any and all effort. At least now I think I know where my problems lie.

This is the difference between the 2 profiles I was using. I started both when my machine was at 0,0,0 and then loaded the code. No work offsets, same file. As you can see they do 2 entirely different things. Including where the tool is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ScreenHunter_04 Aug. 01 17.26.jpg   ScreenHunter_05 Aug. 01 17.28.jpg  

Post the 2 xml files here. They can be found in the root of your mach installation.

I hope this will work. I copied them onto 1 note in notepad. There is a comment between the 2. The lower one (the working correctly profile) was prior to my setting up a 2nd PP and installing the MPG2. Probably a few other differences too. If you see something blatantly obvius on how to set it up better, please tell me. The steps and directions were all working and calibrated correctly. Thanks for the help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Well, there IS a huge difference between the 2 configurations....Perhaps you havnt changed "Screen" properley? as the file with the "Bad" start point is a "4th axis" screen set???

The start coord settings for each IS DIFFERENT also, which would mean that there is a difference in the machine and work coords between the 2..

The good file has a start point set up as:

x=3213
    y=8908
    z=0

The "bad" file has it as:

x=6018
    y=1800
    z=1003

Be sure that if you switch profiles that the screen set is switched to match the new profile.

Load the gcode, then reset the zero's for both machine and work coords. Also, if switching to some kind of "4th axis" screen set and profile in mach3", this may meen that the gcode will not read in the same also, and you would need to setup a post processor to output what the new system wants to see...

Some food for thought..

I am not sure what that all means. Changed screen properly? If there is a way to do it wrong, I can find that way. The bad one even seemed to work at first but then something changed. I was changing many things around the same time. Not thinking they were related. I am still confused on how to fix it. But I can go in and clone my good profile and reinput the information in regards to the 2nd PP and all of the info for the MPG2. I think.

Yeah fastest. It's a bit beyond me with too many variables... I think it's safe to say it's a mach setting issue. Perhaps a quick trip to the mach forum here.

BTW. I wouldnt edit the xml file with notepad. I would us the mach interface to configure it. It's just a preferences file and I'm not sure we can human read what Art had in mind with all settings?

Cloning a good working one and starting over may just be the quickest way, if there isnt some great need to try and make that one work....

Anyway, sorry not much help.

I only used notepad to show you both of the xmls at once. I couldnt get my screen hunter to capture the long screen. You were a lot of help. I did somehow find my problem and though it is not cured it is identified. BTW, I could plug my shuttle back in disable the brains for the MPG2 and be on my way. Since I am already going to be reconfiguring a few thinngs, maybe look into the new MSM beta a little more. Btw I do have copies of my other profiles on my thumb drive. Also I didnt realize what all an xml influenced. I still dont but I do know it is more than I thought. I thought the CAD program took care of all of the placement. Anyway your chiming in did make me feel encouraged and not like Patrick Swayze in ghost, invisible. Late nights, intense reading and concepts you dont understand can get discouraging. Glad you all are here to help a stubborn guy thru. Now I am going to cause more problems about the MSM stuff, have you looked at their screens? Probing looks great, I had it working at 1 time and lost it too.