586,113 active members*
3,291 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tapping heads.

Has anyone ever rebuilt or cleaned out a tapmatic taping head? I have used mine to the point of its slipping and has no torque. It is old and needs taken apart, cleaned, inspected, etc... but I dont know if its something I can do or is it better to send it somewhere?
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I Am Pretty Sur It Is The Clutches Inside, I Have Replaced Mine About Once A Year Since I Got It, In Mine One Side Is A Hardened Part And The Other Half Is Just Plain Cast So It Wears Out. I Think There Are Three Cap Screws On Top To Take Off And Your In. You Will Feel Kind Voilated When They Charge You About 80 Bucks For Two 5 Dollar Castings But Thats The American Way Anymore, I Canned My Tapmatics Bout A Year Ago And Use Telco Tapping Heads And I Havent Had A Single Problem Yet, But They Arent As Nice And Smooth As The Tapmatics Are. Hope This Helps

Quote Originally Posted by Halfnutz
    Has anyone ever rebuilt or cleaned out a tapmatic taping head? I have used mine to the point of its slipping and has no torque. It is old and needs taken apart, cleaned, inspected, etc... but I dont know if its something I can do or is it better to send it somewhere?
    Tapmatic has manuals on their web site that show all of the parts. They also offer a refurb/rebuild service.

Ken
    Kenneth Lerman
    55 Main Street
    Newtown, CT 06470

Yes, I think I can do it myself,I just kinda wanted to hear from someone that had actually done it, other than the tapmatic people, it sounds like a pretty straightforward job, Thanks a bunch.
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

i have also found collets and these parts on ebay, but few and far between, but cheap though

Halfnutz, check your PMs (not to be confused with PMS)
    Dustin B.
    ================
    I hear and I forget.
    I see and I remember.
    I do and I understand.