586,384 active members*
3,701 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Grizzly 12x36 G4003 lathe and tool post grinding

Grizzly 12x36 G4003 lathe and tool post grinding

Hello all. Newie to the forum here.

I restore antique Harleys 1940-1962. Welder by trade, self taught machinist.

I bought a new Grizzly lathe in 1999 and have been using it every day since.

I needed a few special size crankpins made, really simple actually (see pic).

I emailed a handful of companies. Most told me to get lost or didn't even reply back. One place told me that they would make them for SEVERAL HUNDRED DOLLARS EACH !!!!!! I have a nice digital Paragon heat treating oven, decided to use D-2 Tool steel for it's high hardness and wear resistance. I roughed out the pins, leaving about .015" on all surfaces. I scored a real good deal a while back on eBay. A real nice TheMac J-3 tool post grinder for $150 !!! I have one problem now. I have never used a tool post grinder before. I machined a T nut and have it where it bolts right on the lathe now. I would like to hear anyones opinion on how to go about grinding these pins, i.e.; What can I use to hold the pins, what grade stone, which direction the grinder should run in relationship to teh chuck, wet, mist or no, how much of a cut to take per pass, how to lock down the cross slide so it doesn't move from vibration,etc,etc>
    Anyone?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails crankpin.jpg