586,379 active members*
3,490 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Citizen Part Transfer

When running a part program in different machines our operators are finding out the the pickoff point varies, on very small parts they bring the sub collet up while handling through the program many times impacting the sub collet lightly. Is there a way to verify the pick up point of the sub collet prior to actually running the part program?

We have found that the varience is in the collets themselves, and not the machine. There has to be some extra room in there somewhere for things to move around a bit.
    www.atmswiss.com

MikeMc is correct, the collets vary quite a bit. You could qualify the collet face to shoulder dim to have better results.

collets

we have checked the collet's and they seem to be relatively consistent. Well enough so that it wouldn't make a difference during pickoff. The variance is def. within the machines themselves.
    I was hoping there was a more controlled way to verify pickoff position before running through the part program.
    if not i will just have them go through in single block cautiously and gage the distance to verify no collision.

You are checking from the locating shoulder to the face? That machine will repeat almost perfectly. (barring a program mistake)

ok

Thanks for the input guys but I guess I didn't word the problem correctly. This problem is when program X is run in machine A, then machine B then machine C etc....It may be fine in machine A & B, but then in machine C the sub collet may impact the cutoff tool. Yes, when inspecting collets I measure from the shoulder to the face and the problem is without question variance from machine to machine. We are working with extremely small parts so .01 can be all the difference.
    So essentially the distance traveled from sub spindle "home" to the part face is slightly different from machine to machine.

I just trying to determine if there is a way to verify sub collet pickoff position prior to running the part program to avoid damaging any tooling.

Pick off

Usually in a case like that I would go through the Citizen g750 alignment procedure and make sure it is the same as the other machines.

The attached proceedure is how to set that distance (G811) on an L5-20.
    ALWAYS, ALWAYS, write down the exsisting values BEFORE doing any changes. This will save you a lot of time if you make a mistake.
    Try at your own risk or call Citizen for a service call.
    Attached Files Attached Files