586,945 active members*
2,585 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Want to control your spindle with Mach3 but can't.. Maybe this helps.
Page 18 of 23 81617181920

Re: Want to control your spindle with Mach3 but can't.. Maybe this helps.

Sorry didn't get a chance Wednesday, but I have some projects to do tomorrow and will get some video. Doing some little odds and ends upgrades.

Any chance you recall what Version is marked on your driver board ? mine has Ver A1.0 and a serial 18022012 which more than likely is the date 18th feb 2012 ( how we write it on this side of the planet)

well? want to see what 3hp can do.

I read this as "WELL?, (Drumm roll) Want to see what a 3hp can do? " ( im thinking this must be some videos hes very proud of , !! roll tape )

...Back to the man cave ....

Running some errands and getting a some new drill bits with my harbor freight 20% coupon, going to try their cobalt bits.

Will get some video this evening, need to make a holding bracket for some parts, pretty simple part, roofing, contouring, drilling, thread milling, chamfering, should have enough to appear what you may want to see.

I'll have a look at the driver for the version number too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Nos View Post
    I read this as "WELL?, (Drumm roll) Want to see what a 3hp can do? " ( im thinking this must be some videos hes very proud of , !! roll tape )

...Back to the man cave ....
    no i was asking icvette for the video he promised, yours showed issues and i want to see what the 3hp is capable of before shelling out the money. i would not buy it based on your videos.

In all honesty, if I were to do it again I would have gone a different route myself after a lot more research that I've done.

I think the BLDC option is still a little bit young for this application. Once more research on the software and driver has been accomplished I think they will begin getting great results, but the driver platform needs some work and definitely more support than it currently has.

I think it's OK for my G0704, but for my next project mill which will be larger, I'll be looking at something a little more proven and robust with better support.

I contacted the manufacturer and offered to help translate the manual into something more useful to customers and they blew me off which completely shocked me. So in retrospect, due to the fact that they seemed genuinely disinterested in sorting through issues both with the product and the poorly written manual which offers greater functionality than is actually there, I would advise going a different direction.

For the cost of this setup, I think a really good inverter duty or vector duty rated motor and accompanying VFD is a significantly better option and would cost the same or close with more flexibility.

Just my 2 cents.

Chris

I would agree with you , I emailed Zhang yesterday venting my unhappiness of his product , despite being a year old , i had emailed him and sent him videos ,( Unfortunately New Zealand being almost the ******* of the world , Returning products is never an option , ) ... I won't be purchasing a third driver !!! . ... Ive spent a lot of time searching other options ,and haven't really got a plan B ,..Its an improvement on my 1/2 hp x 2500 rpm Dc motor i had . And Ive only just got enough room for adjustment

Attachment 266950

I wonder if this product even made it to a mill head for testing , Would you send these to the global market like this ,( i wouldn't )

I was going to use a treadmill motor t start with ,already had the motor and a controller , but later discovered they only have a duty cycle of 20 mins!!

the Adlee servo motor would be something i would consider Adlee AM2200-H BLDC Motor & Drive , i spoke to Mark on here and he to is a victim of the 2200 w bldc curse ,he also tried using one of his Vfd he supplies and had no luck .

If you had the room this link is a good read http://www.cnczone.com/forums/mikini...project-2.html

When ya look at it ,we are all trying to build $200K machines with with 10K budgets .

I guess either I'm the lucky odd ball or just have my expectations constrained within the right parameters. I'm not expecting this to operate like a $40k machine. I expect it to operate in about the same general way as most of my 1HP wood working tools. I can stall any of those as well. I'm am happier with the BLDC set than I was with the 800w DC motor. This one makes batter power. Runs quieter and I got control of it from within Mach during the swap out. I'll wait until I spend $40 to $50k on a machine to expect that level of performance.

Maybe it's simply that I am running the closed PID loop on mine in Mach that it seems to control the RPM a little better on cut entry. I guess it could also be that I'm not yet being aggressive enough on the feeds to cause the problem. However I run most of the tools at a .003 chip load per tooth as calculated by Fusion 360 and that seems to work fine.

Well I spent all afternoon setting up machstdmill and my newest probe tool, didn't get to make any chips but everything is back together and in working order (had a catastrophic probe crash a few days ago).

I have everything setup so just need to cut the stock to fit and hit the go button for the video tomorrow.

Sorry for the delayzzzzz lol the new probe setup took some doing to get worked out and then had to re measure all my tooling to be safe (probe is used as the master tool in MSM).

So tomorrow for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Duval View Post
    I guess either I'm the lucky odd ball or just have my expectations constrained within the right parameters. I'm not expecting this to operate like a $40k machine. I expect it to operate in about the same general way as most of my 1HP wood working tools. I can stall any of those as well. I'm am happier with the BLDC set than I was with the 800w DC motor. This one makes batter power. Runs quieter and I got control of it from within Mach during the swap out. I'll wait until I spend $40 to $50k on a machine to expect that level of performance.

Maybe it's simply that I am running the closed PID loop on mine in Mach that it seems to control the RPM a little better on cut entry. I guess it could also be that I'm not yet being aggressive enough on the feeds to cause the problem. However I run most of the tools at a .003 chip load per tooth as calculated by Fusion 360 and that seems to work fine.
    Kenny,

What is the rpm and feedrate at .003" per tooth chip load? And what size tool/flute count?

Good stuff....
    I had ago at running the 2200w spindle with Mach3 using the Usb Smoothstepper , At first i wired f/r and s/p grounded together , and used the Pwm signal ( from smoothstepper wired to 2200w driver board ) i also wired Fout to smooth steeper for rpm input , all worked like a charm , turn the spindle by hand and see the pulse on the led , problem is it has a mind of its own !! starts up won't shut off , E stop to shut it down ... so i connect F/R to pin 17 and the ground from the driver board to pin 25, and configure output 1 , As i don't have any board with a relay i thought this would be the simplest solution .( a test comparison with c6 step /dir control Vs Pwm control ) . And that made no difference ,still all over the place , so a Pwm control board with relays like a Digi 05 that's smooth-stepper compatible is my next move ?

I had a similar experience when using a c11g board, but some state they have made it work, it stumped me. So I switched to a C41 pwm board with the relays and it worked fine.

So I'm not sure what to tell you there except the board I purchased seemed to do the trick.

I am interested in trying out the Fout for feedback, can you outline that connection?

Quote Originally Posted by lcvette View Post
    Kenny,

What is the rpm and feedrate at .003" per tooth chip load? And what size tool/flute count?
    Varies with tool size. I'll jump into Fusion when I get home and post some examples.

Here's the way I approach it and certainly don't take this as the right way because I have very limited time actually making things on the machine. This is not the years of experience that Ray,Hoss and some of the others here have with this stuff.

This is the tool path for the following information. This single tool patch run about 9 minutes.

Attachment 267058

As you can see it's a 2 Flute HSS cutter. I ran it at the following parameters in a 2d adaptive path.

Attachment 267060

Attachment 267062

Obviously not that aggressive in cut depth or cut width but it worked for me and I got the part out of it I wanted. I'm certain that some of those guys would tell me that tool patch shouldn't have taken more than a 3 to 4 minutes to run and I could push harder but I'm not a production shop and have limited experience so the slow pace is fine for me.

I had a similar experience when using a c11g board, but some state they have made it work, it stumped me. So I switched to a C41 pwm board with the relays and it worked fine.

So I'm not sure what to tell you there except the board I purchased seemed to do the trick.

I am interested in trying out the Fout for feedback, can you outline that connection?
    The pic pretty much explains it all , interesting though , first time i connected the ground on the C11 plug to smoothstepper pin 25 Fout pin 13 , I to use Machstd mill and in the hardware screen i could see the pulsing AND the tach displayed the rpm on the factory tach display , but no Rpm displayed on the computer ( i think theres an issue with machstd mill and rpm ,theres a few posts about this and no solution) ...
    Any way second time i had disconnected the ground from the smoothstepper , index still pulsed fine BUT the tach on the factory display didn't read ... stuck at 4096 rpm .

won't get back on to it till the weekend ,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fout.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	158.1 KB 
ID:	267182

That would make sense! I was getting ready to make some parts for you guys yesterday for video and thought I'd just give connecting the four a try, 3hiurs later I was still messing with it and the screen rpm readout was going nuts, like reading 1,789,000 rpm literally on the readout and climbing, then it just went to 1 and stayed there. Needless to say I assumed it was not working and kept messing with it. Never cut the parts before shutting down for the night. Going to cut them tonight if I can finish some welding jobs I need to get done today in time..

Did you do the calibration routine successfully? Even with machstdmill flipping out?

In all honesty, if I were to do it again I would have gone a different route myself after a lot more research that I've done.

I think the BLDC option is still a little bit young for this application. Once more research on the software and driver has been accomplished I think they will begin getting great results, but the driver platform needs some work and definitely more support than it currently has.

I think it's OK for my G0704, but for my next project mill which will be larger, I'll be looking at something a little more proven and robust with better support.

I contacted the manufacturer and offered to help translate the manual into something more useful to customers and they blew me off which completely shocked me. So in retrospect, due to the fact that they seemed genuinely disinterested in sorting through issues both with the product and the poorly written manual which offers greater functionality than is actually there, I would advise going a different direction.

For the cost of this setup, I think a really good inverter duty or vector duty rated motor and accompanying VFD is a significantly better option and would cost the same or close with more flexibility.

Just my 2 cents.

Chris
    that's the way i'm leaning, i haven't seen anything to convince me that this bldc setup has all the bugs worked out and is worth the money compared to a 3-phase/vfd setup for my rf45.

OK, thus thing is driving me nuts, I have it hooked up to the F-out, the index is enabled and I see the led flicker (inconsistently, is your like this?) The rpm drop is still reading 1,723,456-ish I am nervous to try and run the calibration like this, is there any other connection I may be missing? The only wires I currently have connected is the F-out, the 0-10v speed connection and I am running a jumper from GND to a relay on my Bob and back to the Start/stop to enable. What is different about mine and yours?

The only difference on mine is I'm grabbing the RPM pulse from the original magnet and rotor on the mill and not the F-Out. I also did not bother with the calibration as the pid loop put shte RPM right where I select them.

Page 18 of 23 81617181920