586,923 active members*
2,698 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Want to control your spindle with Mach3 but can't.. Maybe this helps.
Page 17 of 23 71516171819

Re: Want to control your spindle with Mach3 but can't.. Maybe this helps.

Are you running the Fout for your index?

No..I reused the tack pickup from the original electronics and fed it to the Gecko as an input.

Quote Originally Posted by toddbeau View Post
    The connector next to the PWM input has an rpm output frequency(Fout). Just input that to your bob, assign the pin to the INDEX on your inputs as an active low. Then put a 2 in your pulley ratio and do the spindle cal, I use the PWM input not the VFD voltage input.
    Is your drive ratio 1:2 or 1:1? Trying to decipher why you set the pulley ratio at 2?

Also for the Four terminal, is it just the one wire or is another needed? If you had a schematic of all your connections that would be great!

Also, can you adjust the ramp up time in the PID to increase the acceleration? I've never played with PID so I'm a complete newb on that.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by lcvette View Post
    I noticed that the acceleration value also helps load recovery time. When I first started mine it was slooooow spooling up and so was the recovery. I made some changes to get acceleration to a reasonable speed and the recovery zipped right up. I get some bog if I'm doing aggressive cuts and high feed rates but it always stabilizes relatively quickly.

The above aggressive to me is 6k rpm, 3/8" 4 flute endmill, 3/4" DOC, 40% step over, 50ipm. That's asking a lot of a G0704. I have mine at 1:1 pulley ratio with the AC bearing upgrade.

I normally run HSM strategies wherever possible for constant chip load and have learned that setting the lead in type and lead in feed rate helps minimize the heavy bog down as well as overall deflection in the machine and tool.

Nominally i find a 1/2" DOC, 25% step over 6500 rpm and 90ipm in aluminum is about the perfect balance of machine stability speed and MRR for my mill. I am working on new pulleys to get me to 8000rpm as I feel those speeds are much better suited to HSM with higher feed rates and the lighter step over while maintaining an aggressive chipload.
    you got any video of that?

I can take some this week, plan on running some parts Wednesday, waiting on material to arrive. Any particular requests?

Also I am running the "too big, too much power, will not work right on a G0704 bench mill" 2.2kw (3hp) motor.

Workin just fine for me...

If anything I wish I had gone with a 5hp motor.... lol

Too much power ?? no such thing ,I upgraded from a 1/2hp x 2500 Rpm dc spindle motor , that i had to be very selective with my cuts as if the motor dropped to much rpm it would trigger E stop , and had to begin all over again,..A lot easier to turn the power down than to turn the power up , .. Thought i would add some video of very first part i made after the upgrade, so no coolant at that stage and the covers not yet finished, I originally gear it for 9000rpm at the spindle ,as high as a greased bearing proberly wants to go in that application ,Manual control only , the only problem was occasionally i would mill some steel or stainless and dropping the motor down to 1500 rpm ,it didn't like it, burnt carbide end mills. so Ive gone back to 1:1 ,which machines steel much better , but really adds a lot of machine time to aluminum, not to mention my spindle doesn't get so dam hot. Spindle motor is shoe horned in there so belt changes are time consuming.
    I'm wondering if my C6 spindle controller is a big part of my rpm shift? .. a lot of topics on C6 analog spindle fluctuations , now i see how to change back to manual mode with the jumper i might work backwards to work forward, a Digi 05 or PDMX controller might be a better choice ? .
    Ive included some pics of Power /controller for the 2200w motor , i found a case at Jay car electronics ,and cut the hole for the heat sink ,and mounted it on pedestals , only problem is you have to mount the case then add everything on ,which is backwards , which makes it pain when you need to add or change something ,V 2 controller the heat sink is 30mm shorter ! leaving an ugly gap .

hopefully this helps .

Ive put some more videos up if any one wants to see some more https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCea...vyDuJQMm9vsrMQ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20130630_222157.jpg   2013-05-12 18.07.56.jpg   V2 controller.jpg   Origanal 2200w controller.jpg  

Have you tried controlling it with PWM? When I switched from analog to PWM it made a big difference in how accurate it was. Still off a bit but at least 70% closer than it was to reading correctly.

After watching yours bog I am thinking that maybe the issue is in the software of the driver in the recovery area.

I just started using the very latest driver and o can say that at a 1:1 pulley setup if I charge the tool into the work piece without a lead in and lead in feed rate I can get mine to bog but I am also talking about going in pretty fast and deep.

Maybe try tuning your lead in and lead in feed rate to give the motor a chance to adjust power for the load. Once its cutting mine holds the commanded rpm no problems whatsoever.

Great videos, I will post some up tomorrow for review.

Chris

Hi Chris , i hear what you are saying , about tuning lead in and lead out , ( I ve not longed changed to Hsm myself ) Kind of putting a band aid on the problem in my opinion, ( the peck drilling video is good example of Rpm drop using a 4mm drill @ 6000 rpm ,depth of peck is 1m/2mm in steel ) .... My first attempt with Mach 3 control using V1 controller using the Smoothstepper and Pwm control was a failure , one of those "learning curves " that just ends up going in circles .After a 2 days of getting know where i accepted defeat and returned to Manual control , It wasn't very public knowledge about soldering the pin jumper either on the board at the time, .. so second attempt i had the C6 spindle 0-10v card .( and to be honest that wasn't as easy as first thought) always seems easy in the manuals (bit like servo tunning),..got there in the end.
    Will have another go tonight with the pwm and smoothstepper before changing to a Digi 05 spindle card .

Cheers
    Dr.Nos

How old is your driver? That sounds like a software issue possibly.. Also are you running it on 110v or 220v? I am running mine on 220v and did notice it ran significantly better. Not sure if it has something to do with charging the capacitors faster or something of that nature, I'm not an electrical guru by any means.

Is that still geared down for higher speeds or is that a 1:1 pulley ratio?

Chris

Purchase date of new driver 19 Nov 2013, so basically a year old , I did only update the driver only , Motor is still original , Im unsure if there's an update there ? that I maybe missing? ...there was some talk of increased poles ? In New Zealand we run 240 volt ,i emailed Zhang about this and he said there shouldn't be any issues .

Currently im running at 1:1 ratio , i found the video link Zhang had sent me , When i asked for some "real world proof "

i have some room for improvement that's for sure !!

http://v.ku6.com/show/RtVTZ_cXjh-pzGeFZxernw...html

That's about how mine recovers, my driver is the latest version I believe, 1 month old. The previous driver was the "updated" version but there are some differences between it and the newest one I have. The capacitors are higher voltage, the 6000rpm limiter is not there and it sounds 8000rpm. Although when I asked Zhang about this he said not to exceed 6000rpm and if I needed 6500 it would be OK for short operations but not to run it there constantly.

The newest driver certainly has more torque than the old one and more power up top as well.

Out of curiosity, what are your motor tuning settings? I found a great deal of flexibility when using the step/direction analog by changing those settings. If your steps per unit are set to low it will be lazy. I will have to look and see what they were set to if I can dig up some notes from my tuning experience.

Chris

That is interesting ,.. So theres a V3 ? .. About as bad as software companies ..( Not testing their products before dumping them into the market )
    Ive tried many motor tuning settings Originally Attachment 266650 the c6 spindle card has a max frequency 25000 khz (im not sure how i actually work out steps /min x rpm ? = frequency , max steps should not exceed 6000 rpm , but nothing seems to make to much different ,ive tried 1 step/min and 25,000 steps/min . won't run when velocity =60 , near max on the slider that's for sure .

DC Motor (92 GN-BLM- 300HA) original motor part no.(what i have )
    123IN-BLM-300HA-SMT part no. of motor that the manual shows with my driver

i may be flogging a dead horse again ..

Are you using a smooth stepper by chance?

i sure am Smoothstepper Usb V1.2

Are your setting in the SS config setup? I run a ESS and an not familiar with the USB model plugin config. But I had to set up some items in there as well.

I think so , not to much to adjust really Pulse is set at 2.8 best i could get when tuning with trim pot than gave me the closest when changing rpm 6000 -3000 then 1000 rpm drops .. fraction out at the lower rpms

Attachment 266666

If your kneecapped by the c6 board being limited to 25khz I guess changing the step frequency on the SS won't help you much. I would give directly connecting the pwm signal a try, I found the pwm connection was significantly better for rpm match up although still not perfect.

Your driver is definitely the older version, the new heat sinks are solid fins without the cross notches and extends the full length of the board and are black. I never directly connected the pwm so I am not sure what needs to be done, I used the c41 pwm board from cnc4pc because it had the start/stop and forward/reverse relays on board. But I saw a few posts back someone was directly ruining the driver from the Bob with the pwm signal succesfully.

Will do , thanks for your help ..will update with results .

Quote Originally Posted by lcvette View Post

Great videos, I will post some up tomorrow for review.

Chris
    well? want to see what 3hp can do.

We wait with great anticipation .................................:violin:

Page 17 of 23 71516171819