586,553 active members*
3,323 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > PlasmaCam > Plasmacam vs Other CNC Machines

Plasmacam vs Other CNC Machines

Plasmacam vs. Torchmate vs. ??

I am trying to become a fan of Plasmacam having worked on a friend's machine, however I'm not very impressed with the belt drives. They seem to be a weak design with marginally appropriate components based on plastic timing belt pulleys and very light belts.

Do other CNC plasma machines use these same components or something more robust?

There are 3 different iterations of the PlasmaCam machines....the earliest ones...called the Model 98Z....had issues with belts wearing out rather quickly. The belts were easy to change (5 minutes) and were cheap (about $3).....so most users did not panic too much. PlasmaCam has not built the 98Z for over 10 years. The next model was the DHC, still cog belt driven, but the belts were much more robust....and no longer a problem. (Harley davidsons are belt driven!). The DHC also included a new arc voltage based torch height control. Next, PlasmaCam stopped manufacturing the DHC and replaced it with the DHC2......further advancements in height control technology that makes it so you can set the machine up, push the start button and walk away and do something else while the cutting is going on.....very nice. There also is a larger machine with all of the features of the 4 x 4 DHC2, it has a 5 x 10 cutting bed and is called the Samson.

I have owned both the 98z (had it for 7 years, sold it for a great price) and now I have a DHC2. Only use Hypertherm plasma on these machines....they are the best!

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2363.jpg   IMG_2358.jpg   IMG_2360.jpg   IMG_2364.jpg  

re:Plasmacam vs Other CNC Machines

Dugg,
    The Plasmacam machines since 2001 have new drive systems. The gears are all metal and the belts will last for years under normal use.
    Digital torch height control using arc voltage feedback is included as standard equipment.
    The pierce height uses industrial standard ohmic feedback instead of pressing on the metal with a limit switch or motor pressure. All good cutters have ohmic consumables.

George, Plasmacam Support

Thanks George,

I'm probably not alone in looking to improve an older machine.

Are there any upgrade kits available for the older z 98 machines to convert to the newer, heavier belts metal and pulleys? And, for the conversion to ohmnic sensing?

98-Z

Dugg,
    The only way to upgrade the 98-Z to the DHC2 or Samson is to trade it in. The only thing that is the same is the frame that holds the grates. Even the legs are different.
    Sometimes to improve a product you have to leave backward compatibility behind.