586,701 active members*
2,674 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach PCNC 1100 VS. SmithyCNC 1240 Bed Mill... Which one and Why?

Tormach PCNC 1100 VS. SmithyCNC 1240 Bed Mill... Which one and Why?

WGH

Sup, guys?

I've posted a thread yesterday in the "General Metalworking Machines" forum, but didn't get an answer so far, so I thought I'd refer you guys to it, since it seem more relevant to this forum and to Smithys'.

Here is the link to the thread: http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=796185 .

If you guys would be kind enough as to read and reply to it, I'd appreciate it a lot!

Thanks a ton you guys and sorry for double posting,

Arye Segal.

P.S.: I've also posted the exact same message on the "Smithy" forum.

We could have yet another discussion comparing the specs of the two machines and still arrive at no particular conclusion. For me the deciding factor between the two machines would be the support, both from the company and from other users.

I can’t speak for Smithy support but from Tormach it is 150%, truly and absolutely spot on, whether it relates to help with specific problems, documentation, ongoing development and improvements, video samples, availability of tooling and accessories, overall professionalism of the organisation etc. etc. etc.

With regard to support from other users then just compare the number and content of relevant posts/ threads on Smithy CNCzone with those on Tormach CNCzone from the beginning of the year, it speaks volumes. Also with regard to software help, Mach3 must be one of the most highly online supported software packages out there, and if they can’t help you Tormach will, as the Mach3 software provided by Tormach is tailored to the Tormach mills.

Oh ya and the machine itself, well you take it out of the box and start using it. It works as advertised, no excitment no dramas. If there should be a fault then you fall back on that 150% support.

Never, ever underestimate the value of top notch support.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by segal.arye View Post
    WGH

Sup, guys?

I've posted a thread yesterday in the "General Metalworking Machines" forum, but didn't get an answer so far, so I thought I'd refer you guys to it, since it seem more relevant to this forum and to Smithys'.

Here is the link to the thread: http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=796185 .

If you guys would be kind enough as to read and reply to it, I'd appreciate it a lot!

Thanks a ton you guys and sorry for double posting,

Arye Segal.

P.S.: I've also posted the exact same message on the "Smithy" forum.

Phil told exactly what I,m thinking about Tormach.

You have more RPMs with the Tormach and you get a lot more for the price.

Support is awesome.

Fred

In addition to the above.
    Looking at the specs the smithy only has 10.5 or 11.5 of Z ( depending on which spec you look at ) That is not enough.
    My tormach 5" vise sits 4" above the table. Put a 1/2" drill in a chuck ( almost 8" ) and it won't even clear the vise. It needs more Z.

Scott
    www.sdmfabricating.com

Tormach's support will be the best you'll find. The machine is amazing for the price, not to mention all of the accessories they constantly produce (4th axis, probe, Power Drawbar, ATC.., Speeder, etc..).

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    We could have yet another discussion comparing the specs of the two machines and still arrive at no particular conclusion. For me the deciding factor between the two machines would be the support, both from the company and from other users.

I can’t speak for Smithy support but from Tormach it is 150%, truly and absolutely spot on, whether it relates to help with specific problems, documentation, ongoing development and improvements, video samples, availability of tooling and accessories, overall professionalism of the organisation etc. etc. etc.

With regard to support from other users then just compare the number and content of relevant posts/ threads on Smithy CNCzone with those on Tormach CNCzone from the beginning of the year, it speaks volumes. Also with regard to software help, Mach3 must be one of the most highly online supported software packages out there, and if they can’t help you Tormach will, as the Mach3 software provided by Tormach is tailored to the Tormach mills.

Oh ya and the machine itself, well you take it out of the box and start using it. It works as advertised, no excitment no dramas. If there should be a fault then you fall back on that 150% support.

Never, ever underestimate the value of top notch support.

Phil
    Phil hits the nail on the head here-
    The real difference happens on these shores, with the technical support etc. From what I read, Tormach far surpasses Smithy in this vital area. As far as quality goes, Tormach probably has a better unit as it comes off the boat as well. I usually get ragged for posting information from US Customs, but it does have some value-
    Tormach gets their machines from the Linyi factory in Shandong province. Linyi also builds Smithy's expensive line of Granite 3 in 1 machines as well as the Shopmaster Patriot.
    Smithy gets their 12-40 CNC machine from the Huangshan factory in Anhui province which also builds their low cost Midas line as well as machines for Grizzly and Harbor Freight.

WGH

Thanks a ton, everyone!

If anyone has anything else to mention, please feel free to do so.

Best regards,

Arye Segal.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_M View Post
    In addition to the above.
    Looking at the specs the smithy only has 10.5 or 11.5 of Z ( depending on which spec you look at ) That is not enough.
    My tormach 5" vise sits 4" above the table. Put a 1/2" drill in a chuck ( almost 8" ) and it won't even clear the vise. It needs more Z.

Scott

i have no idea about the smithy since i have never looked into it. i do know that i have used every bit of the tormach's z travel a few times. i have even had to use a drill directly in the r8 collet instead of a drill chuck so i could gain a bit more room. no way would i accept anything less than what the 1100 has.

i use a novakon machine thats the same as the smithy. its got 11" z travel, but about 16" clearace nose to table. its fine for me but it could be an issue if you had deep or tall work.

the new novakon added a spacer to the Z for more clearance, but the travel is the same. i imagine the smithy might have the same treatment now too.

15" y and 24" x travel though put it in a slightly different class than the tormach though. i make guitars on it, so the Y travel is perfect.

I also have a NM200 Novakon and enjoy the big travels of the machine.

That was one reason I bought the Novakon over the Tormach machine. Though I believe both are good machines with good support.

I don't think you could go wrong with Novakon or Tormach though. The Smithy I looked at also, but passed on it. And they are even in my state. One of the main reasons I passed was the controller.

Good luck !