586,657 active members*
3,465 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Tormach PCNC 1100 VS. SmithyCNC 1240 Bed Mill... Which one and Why?

Tormach PCNC 1100 VS. SmithyCNC 1240 Bed Mill... Which one and Why?

WGH

Dear forum members,

How are you, guys?

A friend of mine, which has lots of experience with conventional, manual milling machines, is thinking about buying a personal CNC milling machine to take his metalworking hobby to the next level.

He's looking for nothing other than the best quality home/personal/bench top CNC milling machine available (he's got about USD $9,000 to spend on it). Currently, he set his eyes on either the Tormach PCNC 1100, or the SmithyCNC 1240 Bed Mill...

What do you guys think about these two? Have any of you got to try both of them? What did you guys like/dislike about them? Any thoughts, regarding these two products, that you guys are willing to pass my way are more than welcome!

Of course, if you got any other brand/product that you think is better than the two mentioned above -- PLEASE, feel free to link me to it!

Thanks A TON you guys!

Yours greatly and looking forward to hearing from you,

Arye Segal.

Have your friend spend some time searching the forum. After owning a Tormach for about 4 years now, I can say I would certainly purchase again.

To expand on that, when I purchased the machine I knew nothing about CNC and its been one of the best things Ive ever embarked on.

Knowing what I know now, I would be extremely cautious purchasing any mill that doesnt have a long and solid track record for quality and support. There is just soooo much that can prevent a CNC mill from being a quality piece, its almost scary...

Most if not all mills that are going to be in your friends prices range are going to be made in China. Being thats the case, you need a company that makes it the #1 priority to make sure there are enough QA checks before the mill is shipped. Tormach has demontrated this is a very high priority to them.

Read the design analysis papers on the Tormach web site... comprehend the amount of thought that went into the design of their mill and all the options. Look at their track record for customer support.(all top notch)

Please make no assumptions on these areas. As mentioned before, I would not take a sales persons word on any of this stuff. If they havent proven themselves in the market over a few years, no way, no how, I would send them the kind of money we are talking about.

BTW, there is active discussion on the Tormach site because LOTS of folks have seen the value and the vast majority of their customers are very happy with their decision. I would be very cautious of purchasing a machine from a company that has a forum home on this web site with little to no discussion. IMHO, that points to very small sales numbers and that is generally an indication of poor perceived value.

Good luck with your decision! David

I think that David is right.

I would buy a machine that have a lot of upgrade available, like ATC and I just found out that Tormach can sell a BT30 spindle which I think is something I would buy if the ATC is available soon, more rigid than the R8 model.

I also think that I could give a try at Syil with the X6 or X7 but price is higher than Tormach but got Linear rails.

The Smithys CNC Smithy CNC 1240
    I wander if anyone has it for sale used one.

I was hunting for the best USED OR NEW, bed mill for the money.CNC or convertible to CNC

First limitation is that I have to slide it to my basement (hatch is 34" W.)
    Second limitation is 220V (not 3x220)
    Third limitation is max 80" height.
    Forth limitation :Max to $10 000

The knee mill to heavy, and to take it apart requires to dissembling of the knee.
    The bed mill sound perfect.

Personal preference is not some of a Chinese made Junk
    (opinion expressed is one of my own only and does not represent opinion of any one apart of me. Based on my constitutional rights of freedom of speech)
    Such machinery is:
    Deckel, Maho, Aciera, Abene, and Schaublin (and/or USA made one.)
    But Limitation of disposable income is pushing me to consider This type of machinery as well.

I come to conclusion that Tormach■ Table Size: 34" x 9.5"
    has smaller table not 40x 12 and does not give me max speed in one shot up to 5000 rpm
    Rigidity is questionable comparing to Smithys CNC 1240
    http://www.tormach.com/document_libr...5_PCNC1100.pdf

Used Compumill 1500, Santec Bed Mill, Dynapath Delta 20 CNC .Usually avialable as very much used.
    Could be unscrewed from the stand and /or stand might be modified to reach total no more than 80" to fit to my basement. Correct me I I'm wrong.

2002 FIRST VERTICAL BED MILLING MACHINE MODEL LC-50RS could be also good for conversion to CNC but looks as is very heavy( hard to slide to my basement hatch)

How-Mau
    HM-145
    Table Size
    23.62" x 7.87" ONLY (Smithys 40X 12)
    https://www.machinetoolswarehouse.co...cat=317&page=1
    or
    HM-241 CNC mill
    Table Size 30.5" x 9.5"
    https://www.machinetoolswarehouse.co...cat=317&page=1

Hermle UWF800
    Could be converted to CNC and will cost less than new Smithys but such beauty is simply crime to touch and it is heavy to take a part and slide to the basement.
    Any one has information it this machine after taken a part will be no more than 36" W?
    Hermle UWF800 mill - Anyone got a manual ? (photo) - Practical Machinist - Largest Manufacturing Technology Forum on the Web

If you wish to see more of beauty there is another one
    CNC Milling Machine Heidenhain 150 Hermle UWF 720
    Major limitation is size and power required This one looks like is to big for basement.
    Machine photo 1 - CNC Milling Machine Heidenhain 150 Hermle UWF 720

Deckel FP-1 or FP-2. is and option to convert to CNC as well.

With the robotic software and hardware ( from 6 axis robots used one)Conversion of this concept is possibler but parameters are not near close to traditional CNC mill
    But it is interesting to just mention it.
    Lathe, Milling and Drilling Complex Machine (CX16), Sell Lathe, Milling and Drilling Complex Machine (CX16),Cnc Machine,Machine Tool,Lathe - Metallic Processing Machinery

http://image.made-in-china.com/4f0j0...hine-CX16-.jpg

IH
    9.5" x 40” Table is smaller than Smithys 12X40 is it?
    Mill Comparison

Question: is Smithy CNC 1240 more
    1.rigid
    2.bigger column length width height than IH?
    3.bigger (XY) bed than IH?
    3. does rapids in Smithy are faster than HI or Tormach?
    4. Smithy state excellent accuracy and repeatability is that what you experienced?
    5 Smithy column looks like is made from 2 parts is that any advantage of this concept versus competitors that will give me longer Y axis ?
    6. Ball screws #5 of Smithy versus slammer diameter of competitors?
    7.I have met comments on this forum that CNC ready structure of Smithy was sold back in 2008 for $4400. I have called Smithy today. I was told Quote:" We do not sale any other way but complete package".That means you guys are pressed to spend $10 000 or you will not get this machine disregard the fact that you might be not in favor to Smithy electronic hardware and software. (?)

CNC Express XL
    CNC Express Mill from MicroKinetics Corporation
    It looks like nothing new tipical x45 bed fundation, used by others

M3HS
    Table Size (WxL)
    210 x 750 mm (8.25" x 29.5")
    https://www.machinetoolswarehouse.co...me.php?cat=320
    or
    https://www.machinetoolswarehouse.co...cat=320&page=1

1610 L
    what impress me is
    3 Hp spindle with R8 taper
    10 - 5000 Spindle RPM with ISO P4 bearings

That what is wrong in my application is
    Weighs only 2000 lbs in one single body. That means you can NOT!!! slide it to basement
    34" W. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Syil
    table 31.4" x 9.84"
    Smaller than Rong Fu or (any X45 column)
    http://www.syilamerica.com/product_docs/Compare_X7.pdf

Novakon
    Bed Mill NM-145
    NM-145 Bench Series 2 CNC
    or
    http://www.novakon.net/NM-145+Data+Sheet.pdf

IF I HAVE NOT INCLUDED ANY OTHER PRODUCT THAT IS CNC OR CNC CONVERTIBLE BASED ON MY CRITERIA( BED MILL) PLEASE EDUCATE ME IN THIS AREA

I HAVE SPEND ALL OF THIS TIME TO COLLECT INFORMATION TO OTHERS as well.

Please if anyone have used CNC for sale contact me at [email protected]

Mikini
    Mikini 1610L CNC machining center

Wes