586,950 active members*
2,709 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Gecko 203V heatsink

Ok so I tried to get some heat sinks off of some equipment at work (scrapped equipment) but the fin spacing on both pieces are not working out for me. They are too close together and I cant get a good spot to drill holes to bolt the drives down.

Is there a good piece of heat sink that you guys can recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by bead View Post
    Ok so I tried to get some heat sinks off of some equipment at work (scrapped equipment) but the fin spacing on both pieces are not working out for me. They are too close together and I cant get a good spot to drill holes to bolt the drives down.

Is there a good piece of heat sink that you guys can recommend?
    Newegg has a Rosewill RCX-Z80-AL 80mm heatsink-fan combination for $7.99+$3 shipping.
    The flat base is 2 5/8 by 3 inch-slightly bigger than the 2.5-inch-square G203V. I would add Arctic Silver paste between the Gecko and the heatsink.
    I bought four for less than $43 including shipping.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835200042

how do you mount it to the surface of the heatsink though? the fins look really close together

Quote Originally Posted by bead View Post
    how do you mount it to the surface of the heatsink though? the fins look really close together
    The flat surface opposite the fan must press against the surface of the Gecko drive (if you use four drives you need four heatsinks). These heatsinks come with a rocker bar through the center of the heatsink that has a square hole on each end. I'd recommend a bolt through the cabinet that goes through these square/rectangle holes on each side of the gecko. You could use any other method to press the heatsink against the side of the gecko that needs to be cooled-see the gecko documentation to determine which side that is and make sure the heat sink is attached to the side needing the cooling.

I mounted mine on a similar heat sink as you seem to have. I just drilled and tapped my holes. This way you do not need a nut on the other side of the main plate. Just a machine screw into the tapped hole.

If your budget allows for a heavy duty solution, PMDX offers a
    large predrilled heatsink for $96.00 plus $8.00 shipping in USA.

http://www.pmdx.com/Heatsink-01

Regards,
    Steve Stallings
    www.PMDX.com