586,390 active members*
2,789 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Fadal VMC20

Fadal VMC20

I'm new to machining, with absolutely no experience in CNC programming other than the work that I do with my CNC plasma. I have a few beginners questions that I would appreciate some direction on.

I have been given the opportunity to purchase a 1993 Fadal VMC 20. The machine has been sitting since taken out of service in 2001. Does this machine contain any hardware that would ultimately need service from lack of use and no fluid movement?

Also, is this a type of machine that would be ideal to start out with due to my non-existant experience in machining?

What do you feel would be a reasonable price for a machine of this quality with no guarantee that it will perform properly?
    Thank you, Nathan

Ways, bearings and screws COULD have rusted or pitted at the sitting location.
    $3 - $6k is a right price for a machine with no options that can be seen powered.
    If not powered - it weighs 4ton @ $150/ton = $600 - you could be generous and offer $1000
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

VMC 20

Thank you for your input. Would this small of a machine be capable of doing much steel work? Or mostly limited to aluminum and other more easily machinable stock?

VMC 20

We have had a VMC 20 for 15 years.It doesnt have a ton of power,but has proven to be reliable.It only has a 5 hp spindle which bogs easy in big cuts in aluminum.I have had big steel and stainless on it before and in low range,it has a surprising amount of torque.Fadals do not like cutters bigger then an inch....

I would look the machine over and look for signs of obvious abuse.See if the cabinets are clean inside and look for pitted ways(especially y).Fadals are easy to program and set up.We use it mostly for cutting alum and plastic.For steel and stainless-it goes on a Brown & Sharpe or Matsurra.Depending on condition,it might be worth as much as 20k.Does it have a rotab?