586,089 active members*
3,885 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Manual spindle control not working

Manual spindle control not working

Hello,

I'm a proud new owner of a PCNC 1100 and so far I really like the machine, but I can't get the spindle to operate in manual mode.

It's probably operator error but if so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've checked the wiring both visually and with a tug test and the wiring connections all seem ok. The spindle works fine under computer control but nothing happens when switch is set to manual and the start switch toggled.

Stumped in San Diego

Welcome !

Make sure you spindle lock isn't engaged and that the door is completely shut. If it's still not working, make sure you have the polarity right. Next I'd check your outlet with a meter and make sure it's hot.

Quote Originally Posted by twocik View Post
    Welcome !

Make sure you spindle lock isn't engaged and that the door is completely shut. If it's still not working, make sure you have the polarity right. Next I'd check your outlet with a meter and make sure it's hot.
    The spindle lock is not engaged and the door is completely shut.

Re "polarity right" and hot outlet, not sure what you mean. The spindle operates fine under computer control. Why would polarity and status of outlet, (wall outlet?), be different during manual operation?

Oh I might have read that a little fast. I thought I read it didn't work at all, sorry.

Check to make sure all of the wires are plugged in behind the plastic front plate. If it's still not working, I'd give tormach a call.

I had a similar problem with my Tormach that was delivered in November. Everything worked fine but the manual spindle control. I contacted Tormach and they had me go through and tighten all the wire connectors. A few of them were a bit loose but tightening them produced no change. Ultimately it was the door panel circuit board or a switch on that board that was the culprit. They sent me a replacement board assembly and it took care of the problem.

I don't even know if the manual spindle control works on my Tormach. I never use it. If I want to run the spindle manually it is easy enough to just either use the MDI input ( Sxxxx M3 M4 M5) or input the speed in the S input box push the enter key and click on the spindle start button with the mouse or push the F5 function key.
    BTW by using the Shuttle Jog Controller (P/N 30616) and Mach 3 interface panel the Tormach works just like a manual mill with hand wheels.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by ez3022 View Post
    I had a similar problem with my Tormach that was delivered in November. Everything worked fine but the manual spindle control. I contacted Tormach and they had me go through and tighten all the wire connectors. A few of them were a bit loose but tightening them produced no change. Ultimately it was the door panel circuit board or a switch on that board that was the culprit. They sent me a replacement board assembly and it took care of the problem.
    Thanks to everyone who responded. I've Emailed Tormach support and hopefully they will respond with a solution/fix.

Actually not having manual spindle control is not a big deal, as Don Clement states, but since the machine is new and still under warantee might as well make sure all of the "bells and whistles are working as advertised.

Pat

Tormach responded to my Email, had me run some tests. Problem seems to be bad start switch and they have sent me a new board/switch assembly. I'm impressed with the Tormach's response and knowledgeable tech. support.

Pat