586,732 active members*
2,861 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

SL-1A spindle drive alarm

I just recently acquired a 1983 SL-1A. It has a Yasnac LX-1 control. It was purchased on a spur of the moment sight unseen, and now I'm wondering if it was such a good idea.

Anyway, powered it up today for the first time. Quickly noted that there are 2 alarms, #280 Machine Unready, and #400 Seq Err 2. The note on the bottom of the screen says "Spindle Alarm".

On the spindle drive there is an orange/red light on next to "OC".

Any ideas what is going on here? Hoping that it doesn't need to have a drive replaced or repaired. Maybe I'm overlooking something or not following the correct sequence (SEQ ERR 2)?

Thanks in advance

I sure hope you didn't pay too much. OC alarm is overcurrent, if it happens during power up and not when starting the spindle, the drive is bad. Depending on the drive, some of the old yaskawa stuff is no longer repairable, so it would need a retrofit.

The machine ready alarm is because of the SDU.

Underthetire,

Thanks for the response. I paid ~$2000 for the machine. I don't know the past history of the machine although when the truck pulled into my yard I noted that the plastic cover for the spindle drive was off and laying inside the machine. I'm guessing the previous owner had a problem and pulled the cover off to look at it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do right now, probably end up parting it out or just selling it outright as a parts machine.

The drive is a 626MT2 and it has a 7.5Kw motor. Can this be repaired by a D
    IY'er?

Thanks again

I believe that one can still be repaired. I would leave it powered up for a day then try to re-start it. Sometimes the capacitors dry up and take a long time to start cycling.

Underthetire,

Do you know what exactly causes the OC alarm? I.E. is it due to the incoming voltage being too high (machine taps are set for 220V, I have a phase converter with aprox 230V ouput on 2 legs and ~240 on the high leg, never had a problem with other machines), power flucuations, or just old weak components? Do you know what part of the drive this affects (top boards, or the power modules)? Or could it be something external, the spindle drive for example? Just wondering if it's something I can tackle without the need to send it out or exchange.

Thanks