Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

A new book on Custom Macro B

Some detail is available at

http://www.mhprofessional.com/produc...sbn=0071713328

I would appreciate any feedback on it.
    Thanks

In order to provide the highest quality feedback, naturally this would require a free copy for review and interpretation.

Mark T.

PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by sinha_nsit View Post
    Some detail is available at

CNC Programming using Fanuc Custom Macro B : McGraw-Hill Professional Online Book Store

I would appreciate any feedback on it.
    Thanks
    I was looking into getting the fanuc macro book by Peter Smid. How does this book compare, as far as topics and examples?

This book has better coverage and more in-depth description of the topic. Smid's book skips several advanced features such as macro call with custom G/M-codes and use of interface signals. Moreover, his book is more relevant for older control versions, whereas this book targets i-series controls. To be fair, his book has some extras also. For example, he has explained DPRINT command, whereas this book skips this totally. His book is hard-bound whereas this book is a paperback edition.

The following link has a review about both the books. Read it yourself and take a decision:
    CNC Machine Tool Book reviews and cnc software reviews by Machinetoolhelp.com

As on today, 56% people buy this book and 44% buy Smid's book, through amazon.com:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Programming-using-Fanuc-Custom-Macro/dp/0071713328/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1278746639&sr=1-3#_"]Amazon.com: CNC Programming using Fanuc Custom Macro B (9780071713320): S.K Sinha: Books[/ame]

Fanuc Macro Random number function ?

Hey

does this book tell me how to generate a Random number within a range?

eg...random between 0-20

Quote Originally Posted by greenchair View Post
    Hey

does this book tell me how to generate a Random number within a range?

eg...random between 0-20
    There is no such program given in the book, but you can write one once you learn macro-programming. Macro programming allows to to implement your logic, random-number generator algorithm in this case.

The book is not a programming handbook, though several sample programs are given. It mainly teaches how to write macros.

Incidently, why do you need random numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by sinha_nsit View Post
    Incidently, why do you need random numbers?
    I was quite curious on that myself.

Stevo

Quote Originally Posted by stevo1 View Post
    I was quite curious on that myself.

Stevo
    But at least I should not raise this question. In the book, I have myself given programs for things like standard deviation calculation, quadratic equation solver, summation of a series, and the list continues.

Actually, my purpose was quite different:
    Macro programming is hyped to be a complex thing, the so-called "best kept secret of CNC." This has made many prople believe that they cannot learn it easily. As a teacher, I know that such a notion is the biggest hindrance in learning new things. Therefore, initially I took those examples which people are generally aware of, and must have actually written programs in some programming language such as PASCAL, FORTRAN or C, after developing a suitable algorithm. Developing an algorithm is the first step in writing a macro. Once the algorithm is ready, and you decide which variable to use for what purpose, writing a macro becomes trivial. An effective teacher has to talk in the language which the students understand. What I know may be important, but what I am able to pass on is more important. This is the reason why some people with limited knowledge are the best teachers.

I would be very interested in reviewing and giving feedback on your book. I have a copy of Smid's, and agree it is targeted toward the older controls. However, it is one of the only macro B references out there.

OK. I have attached two chapters from the book which will give you fairly good idea of the depth and the way of presentation.
    These pages are for your personal reference only, being a copyright material.

Sinha
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks sinha_nsit. I'll take a look at it over the holiday and give you some feedback.

sinha_nsit, I thought the samples from your book looked great. I liked the G66 explanation. I haven't ever used it, because I didn't know how. The only thing I can think of to add would be P #'s at the end of a sub-program (M99P1) to return to a different line in the main program. Thanks for the opportunity to review your book before buying it - I definitely will be.

Quote Originally Posted by kenickie22 View Post
    The only thing I can think of to add would be P #'s at the end of a sub-program (M99P1) to return to a different line in the main program.
    Thanks.
    You are very much right. I missed this point. It can only be added in the next edition. There can be some logic when it might be necessary to jump to some other block other than the block following M98, though I have to think about some practical example. If you have something in your mind, pl pass on to me.
    Thanks again for your useful suggestion.

%
    O0100(AUTOMATION PROGRAM)
    (27SEP10 - KN)

N1( PROGRAM RESET )
    G65P10A1.

N2( INITIALIZE TIMER )
    #3002=0
    IF[#910EQ#3011]GOTO3
    G65P200D99.

M99P2
    %

The majority of our machines are robot loaded HMC's, that are running the same part on both pallets. I typically loop a main program with M99 that has (2) macro driven work offset load programs and (1) machining program runnning as subs. This way, I only have to prove out/maintain 1 machining program for all of the machines/fixtures that are running a particular part. In this example, I'm using it to tell if a machine has been reset. I have a DNC software hooked to our machines for data collection. Our Makino HMC's have a function you can turn on to rewind the program anytime RESET is pushed. When N1 is ran, I output things like N#, T#, Pallet #, part serial #, etc. for traceability purposes. If the machine is not interrupted, it skips over this line and goes to N2. Hope this makes sense.

Another similar example: -

We have fixtures that take a complete set/multiples of parts required for an assembly, but we don't always have an equal amount of parts, so we program the complete set in our main program and use a separate sub to store the actual extended work offset (P1-P48) we are using for each individual part.

The main program calls a standard macro at each N (sequence restart position) that looks at the particular offset specified. If it finds that the offset has been set as zero it jumps back into the main program at N +5.

So a single program can now run in many different configurations, skipping through the parts that are not required. It just means a bit of discipline in the format of the main program - N5, N10, N15 etc

DP

Custom Macro B book

Sinha,
    Just wanted to let you know I just received your new book today. Looks great so far.

Thank you. Hope you would find it quite informative.

Download the attached files, having additional reference material.

Sinha
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'm mostly just a lurker on this forum, searching and learning as I go from many of the knowledgeable and learned posters.

I'm looking to write a few macros that are more complex (for my tiny mind) than the simple ones I have written and used in the past. So here I am once again, searching and reading.

What caught my attention and I believe deserves to be recognized is the fact that on 3/20/2006 sinha_nsit made this post
    https://en.industryarena.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18698

4 years later, he has written and published a book on the same subject!

Way to go! :cheers:

After reading the chapters he has posted, this may be just what I am looking for.

romer

Thanks Romer for appreciation.

Yes. I heard about macro programming about six years back only. I got interested in it when I read the comment of Mike Lynch who described it as "the best kept secret of CNC." That time, I did not even know how to start learning. I struggled for nearly five years, trying to extract information from various sources. This website has been a great help. Finally, I acquired enough knowledge to write a book.

Incidently, I did not even know the difference between G00 and G01 about 12 years back!

This proves that, with determination and hard work, no goal is unachievable.

Page 1 of 2 12