586,785 active members*
2,837 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Want To Buy...Need help! > Need Advise on what machine would be best.

Need Advise on what machine would be best.

Hi-

We are looking for a machine that can cut wood and glass. For the glass part it needs to be able to route a 1/16" grove into a 1/4" thick glass that has dimensions of about 26"x 2". These groves have to be precision and be in the exact right place to a fraction of a millimeter so it will have to be computerized. I also need the machine to be able to grind a precise radius in the glass. For the wood part it will need to be able to make cuts to build a very high grade wood box.
    Is there a machine that will do all this or are we better with two machines? Please keep in mind that I need it for the glass part and another company needs it for the wood part so we are looking to buy one both to use. If it is much more expensive to get one that does the glass part too then it wont make sense for them to split it. Thanks

Most glass will crack

if you try routing grooves in it. Have you ever done this? I'm also having a hard time picturing a wood router that's also capable of dealing with glass. A glass-cutting machine needs to be run wet, with copious flood coolant and good protection for the slides and screws. A wood router is run dry, usually with dust-extraction. This sounds like two different machines, although if you're building it yourself you could probably work out a compromise solution. To put those grooves in your glass, look into abrasive blasting - you can use a CNC cutter to cut the mask.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Quote Originally Posted by PURE Fidelity View Post
    Hi-

We are looking for a machine that can cut wood and glass. For the glass part it needs to be able to route a 1/16" grove into a 1/4" thick glass that has dimensions of about 26"x 2". These groves have to be precision and be in the exact right place to a fraction of a millimeter so it will have to be computerized. I also need the machine to be able to grind a precise radius in the glass. For the wood part it will need to be able to make cuts to build a very high grade wood box.
    Is there a machine that will do all this or are we better with two machines? Please keep in mind that I need it for the glass part and another company needs it for the wood part so we are looking to buy one both to use. If it is much more expensive to get one that does the glass part too then it wont make sense for them to split it. Thanks

Glass Cutting

We are using 1/4" Bora Silicate glass ( pyrex). We had it out sourced before and they cut it without the glass cracking. Think of ot more like deep engraving as it is only 1/16" into the glass. I was hoping that there is a machine that could convert from wet to dry. Is that possible? Thanks for the reply

What you can try is a spray bottle or liquid dish soap.. The liquid should not hurt the router table at all.

If your looking for something more pro you can check out a UNIST system here is a link http://www.unist.com/ They sell lubricating systems that you connect to your router, but on their website it shows it's more used for Metals.

If your looking for two seperate systems
    Take a look at the Vision 2550 Router/ Engraver for wood.
    And the Vision Max Pro Engraver which is made to cut and what I mean
    by cut is engrave on glass. It has a water tray and drip system built in.

Basically you should check out Vision engraving and routing systems.
    They sell Routers and the UNIST system not to mention the Max Pro which is made to cut glass. Here is a link www.visionengravers.com

Glass Cutting

Thanks for the help. I will contact them tomorrow.