587,011 active members*
3,786 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

OSP700L questions

I'M NEW TO LATHE programing and have a few questions.
    1-is there a way to dwell for a few seconds w/ my knurling tool
    2-i'm having alot of trouble with long stringy chips (i'm turning an aluminum cup 3.5 id x 1" deep im taking .075 on a wall per pass is there a g code to brake the chip on a lathe similar to a g73 on my mill?or do i have to manually put "pecks" in on each pass. i was told that the inserts have a chip break if i push them,currently programed 1200 rpms .007 chipload. and not a broken chip in the bunch.
    Any help is greatly appreciated .you guys have already been a big help on past projects
    thanks tom

Yes, G4 is dwell, with a L value ( if I remember, been a while) being seconds.

No chip break cycle. .007 is way to light of feed to break a chip with most inserts. Try above .01, more like .015 if your tool will handle it. Your RPM is way too slow as well for aluminum. Use G96 with about 1000SFM. Just make sure your G50 is set correctly for a SAFE RPM for your workholding/part.

I TRIED G4 L2 IN MY X MOVE line
    X3.72 F.02 G4 L2
    NO DWELL SO I TRIED IT IN A LINE OF ITS OWN . NO DWELL SO I ADDED THE FOLLOWING
    X3.72 F.02
    Z-.001F.0005
    .001 MOVE GAVE ME 2 REVOLUTION DWELL & THE PC LOOKS FINE
    AS FAR AS G96 & G97 DOES ANYONE HAVE A COMPRHENSIVE LIST OF G GODES & MCODES FOR A OSP700L? I BOUGHT THIS MACHINE AT AN AUCTION AND DIDNT GET ANY BOOKS I DON'T HAVE ANY KNOWLEDGE OF FILE MANAGMENT OR EVEN HOW TO CLEAR AN ERROR MESAGE WITHOUT RESTARTING THE MACHINE. I'VE BEEN TEACHING MYSELF PROGRAMING BY READING YOUR POSTS & BY LOOKING AT THE PROGRAMS THAT WERE IN THE CONTROL FROM THE OLD OWNER.
    (INCRESED FEED ON BORING BAR as per your instruction. CHIPS LOOK GREAT.) i used to run this pc in my mill 7.5 min & lots of hand deburing now i have a finnish pcs with nice chamfers in just over 3 min . i should have bought a lathe long ago!
    thanks tom

dwell is F and maybe P
    G04 F2 is two seconds dwell

i know p is dwell time on my mil in .001 second ie p500 = .5 seconds is that the case or p1 = 1 second i'd like to find as many similarities as possible between the fanuc 6mb & osp700l
    thanks tom

Quote Originally Posted by ZLEB View Post
    1 second i'd like to find as many similarities as possible between the fanuc 6mb & osp700l
    thanks tom
    Uhhhhh.. It would be easier to identify the dissimilarities, so... the OSP is good, very dissimilar from the 6
    The beaten path, is exclusively for beaten men.

I'M NEW TO LATHE programing and have a few questions.
    1-is there a way to dwell for a few seconds w/ my knurling tool
    2-i'm having alot of trouble with long stringy chips (i'm turning an aluminum cup 3.5 id x 1" deep im taking .075 on a wall per pass is there a g code to brake the chip on a lathe similar to a g73 on my mill?or do i have to manually put "pecks" in on each pass. i was told that the inserts have a chip break if i push them,currently programed 1200 rpms .007 chipload. and not a broken chip in the bunch.
    Any help is greatly appreciated .you guys have already been a big help on past projects
    thanks tom

G04 is the dwell code and F is the time, i.e G04F2 for 2 seconds. There is no p for dwell on OSP.

i know p is dwell time on my mil in .001 second ie p500 = .5 seconds is that the case or p1 = 1 second i'd like to find as many similarities as possible between the fanuc 6mb & osp700l
    thanks tom

G codes and M codes would be the only thing that may compare between the two. These are two completly different controls with little in common.

There is no p for dwell on OSP
    P is dwell in miliseconds, F is dwell in seconds for G04