586,933 active members*
2,627 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

IT MOVES!!!

Got tied up on other projects (making money) and couldn't wait to get the electronics box finished so I jury rigged the electronics on the floor and IT MOVES. Of course it's just the x axis but it's progress. I tuned and calibrated the motors in Mach3 and ran a couple of test programs. The x axis returned exactly to the beginning (on a dial indicator). I guess my math is correct and the design is valid.

Did run into slight problem with the pulleys. One of the drive pulleys slipped on the shaft so I took all the pulleys off and used Loctite Blue on the screws. Seems to have fixed that problem.

I'll get back to the electronics box this week.

No Pics.

Willy

Quote Originally Posted by flyinwilly View Post
    Got tied up on other projects (making money) and couldn't wait to get the electronics box finished so I jury rigged the electronics on the floor and IT MOVES. Of course it's just the x axis but it's progress. I tuned and calibrated the motors in Mach3 and ran a couple of test programs. The x axis returned exactly to the beginning (on a dial indicator). I guess my math is correct and the design is valid.

Did run into slight problem with the pulleys. One of the drive pulleys slipped on the shaft so I took all the pulleys off and used Loctite Blue on the screws. Seems to have fixed that problem.

I'll get back to the electronics box this week.

No Pics.

Willy
    I flat spotted or keyed all my shafts & added a second set screw to all pulleys 90 degrees from the flat or key. The loctite will most likely do the job though.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

I did flat spot all the shafts and all pulleys have two set screws. It was the large pulley that came loose. It didn't spin on the shaft but was sliding along the shaft so at least one of the screws was partially engaged with the flat.

Maybe I didn't tighten it up enough or forgot to tighten one of them but they should be OK now.

Electronics enclosure

Completed the electronics enclosure and mounted it on the end of the machine. Still have to put the permanent wiring and switches in but that's no problem as soon as I go out and buy the stuff.

Box has 2 5" fans in bottom from a old computer. They run off the little 12V power supply which will also power the torch relay. I may also run the limit switches through the 12 V supply. The large supply is the 48V which I fed into the 2 terminal strips to the right of it. Makes it easier to feed the little wire lugs in the Gecko 540 which is in the right side. The emergency switch is on the top right.

Still need a plexiglass cover but the Gecko is staying much cooler than when it was sitting on the floor.

Found my flexible cable racking on Ebay. It was much cheaper than McMaster-Carr and looks pretty good. The ID is 15/16 x 1 1/2 -- Should have plenty of room for the motor and torch cables.

On to the Y axis.

Willy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails electronics enclosure.JPG  

Y axis complete

Finsihed the Y axis drive. Came out really well and runs so smooth and quiet. This axis is using 2 linear rails that I got off of Ebay for $35.00. They came with 4 trucks but I am only using 1 on each rail. It took a lot of work to insure that both rails were completely parallel but it paid off. However, I think with a little design change, I could have just used one rail and some bearings on a flat rail. The belt reduction is the same as the one used on the X axis. The plate is the same with the exception of not needing the holes for the V bearings so the plate is several inches narrower.

I said earlier that things were going too smoothly and it finally happened. I forgot to slot the vertical tubes on the gantry to allow the belt to pass through to the outside of the tubing. The slot should have been just below the top rail, about 1.5" wide and .75" high. I've temporarily anchored the belt on the inside of the vertical but it will cause a loss of 1.5" of cutting width and I can't adjust the belt tension. The slot was on the drawing but I just missed it. I'll add it later when I disassemble the gantry to paint the plates, etc.

On to the Z axis!

Pics attached

Willy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Y axis belt reduction.JPG   Y axis linear rail.JPG   Y axis drive pully and idlers.JPG   temp belt attachment left.JPG  

Electrical Wiring complete

It was a hot weekend so not a lot got done ( except for killing a few beers). Finished the 110V wiring. Added separate switches for the motor and electronics. Built a 20' 12 ga power cord and installed and wired the blower motor. Need to build a belt shield and clamp down the greenfield.

Worked a little on the Z axis -got the plate cut, machined, and welded. Decided my design for the floating head was not going to work as good as I first thought so I bought 2 small linear rails off Ebay and I'll use them with a compression spring when they arrive.

pic attached.

Willy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails motor and electronics completed.JPG  

Z axis complete

Completed the drive section of the Z axis. Mounted it on the front of the Y axis rails and tried it out. Works great!

This assembly is a 425 oz stepper direct coupled to a 1/2 - 10 acme screw with a delrin nut attached to a piece of aluminum angle which rides on 2 small linear rails (another Ebay purchase). With the gecko microstepping, I had to set Mach3 at 18K steps/inch. It really screams when moving up and down.

I still need to build the floating head but am still waiting for the 2 new rails for the head to ride on. I also decided to add THC to the machine. I'm waiting for Candcnc to come out with the new unit. It's supposed to use the Gecko540 BOB and give you a few more inputs (home, limits, etc) and output relays. It should be available any day now.

The to - do list is getting shorter. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter.

Pics attached.

Willy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Z axis.JPG   Z axis #2.JPG