586,974 active members*
3,062 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Threaded View

Grizzly G0704 Build

Well its about time I started posting here. I have been lurking for a while, and just got started on my conversion. :wave:

I plan to keep updating this as I go, so please dive in and comment and critique! This is my first mill, and my first conversion, so I can't know what I'm doing right?

I plan to keep this conversion as simple as possible, but I want a clean finished mill as well, so that my go out the window. I planned to use NEMA 23 motors for all axis in this conversion. This is based of some calculations I have done, and I think the NEMA 34 route is overkill.

I bought the mill earlier this year and have spent some time fooling around with it, and creating 3d models of my conversion. I just finished building my adapters and ordered all of my drive parts, so its about time for me to start contributing here.

So here are my plans. I am going to run NEMA 23 motors on all 3 axis, direct drive. I will be using Keling drivers and motors, and will be converting a HP blade server power supply to run the steppers (48v 15amp). The Blade power supply was something I read about converting on an RC group forum, and is a cheap alternative to other power supplies. You can pick them up refurbished for as low as $20.

So enough jabbering, here are the details.

3X Keling 6050 drivers (60v, 5amp)
    2X Keling NEMA 23 425oz/in steppers (x and y)
    1X Keling NEMA 23 570oz/in stepper (z)

C11 CNC4PC Break out board (hoping to use the analog spindle control)

HP Blade 48v 755W power supply.

I have spent a fair amount of time modeling up this conversion, so I will try to post pics and details as I go. I also have stp and igs models of the mill put together if anyone if looking for them. I cant say they are very accurate, but they are what I measured and plan to build to.

So please share your thoughts and comments, and I will try to keep this up to date with my progress.

Here are the pics of my machined parts and drive components.

Thanks
    -Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails eric.jpg