586,129 active members*
2,826 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Ballpark tool life

Hi all,

First post so not really sure what to do.

I am looking into getting CNC for our workshop but really could do with working out what it's going to cost for the tools.

We are working in Aluminium box section 3mm (1/8") thick (6082T6 & 6063T6) and need to do holes anywhere from 3.2mm diameter to 22mm diameter.

I am guessing that a 3mm cutter would be a good start but have no experience of how long such a cutter would last. I don't really need to calculate it to the nearest second (unless they only last 2 seconds!), just a rough guide to work out the overheads.

For example, say one lasted for an hour and it was running at 6mm per second I can quickly work out how much it's going to cost in cutters. At this stage I am not really interested in how long it takes to machine, just what the running costs are.

I hope someone out there can spare a minute to help.

Chris

You can pick em up for about 6 quid each, you want 2 flute High speed Steel, I'm looking at J&L Industrial Supply UK catalogue, page 200: says...

Disposable End Mills 3mm dia, length 4.5mm
    5% Cobalt= £4.16, TiN Coated= £8.16, TiCN Coated= £9.70

I've used them before and the company is good, might be best to give em a call?

Here's their web and number:

www.jlindustrial.co.uk
    freephone 0800 66 33 55

Get em to send you a catalogue, it makes a huge noise when it lands on your floor lol.

No financial interest in the company btw, just happy with their service/ supplies.

Regards!

Iain, Manchester.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Thanks Iain, useful stuff.

I'll give them a ring for a cataglogue.

So, from your experience, how long would such a cutter last?

The answer could be in minutes / hours or in distance. It would be really useful to know.

Many thanks

Chris

<If it were'nt for the last minute, nothing would get done>

It all depends on your machine HP, Spindle rigidity, length the tool is hanging out, collett holder versus solid holder, rigidity of the part being cut , all come into play as well as other factors so there is no real "Ball Park" figure for a tool. I've seen tools blow-up as soon as they touch the material because of incorrect speed and feed. You need to consult with the tool maker and they will tell you if you run it at "this speed" and "Feed" you might get 4 parts or 5 parts what ever. They will need all the info you can provide about your material being cut and your machine.
    Regards,
    We all live in Tents! Some live in content others live in discontent.

Boots has got it spot on, I've had tools last days or others hours. Aluminium ain't hard, but it will gum the tool up unless you get those chips out of the cut and that means the tool is rubbing, not cuttin which will wear it. I use air mist WD40, 50% and 50% water mixture- seems to clear the chips fine.

As Boots says, depends on a stack of factors, but if you give any tool manufacturer a call, they'll get all your machining parameters off you and tell you what to expect (then divide the tool life by two lol, they're always "optimistic")

Another UK company I deal with is WNT Total Tooling
    FreePhone 0800 073 2 073 (Sales)
    FreePhone 0800 073 2 075 (Technical Support)

www.WNT.com

[email protected]

Hope this helps!

Iain, Manchester.

Oh! their catalogue is even heavier lol if it fell on you, you'd be dizzy
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Thank you so much for your responses, and all the helpful info Iain. I see what you all mean.

Can I put it another way, no pressure...

Suppose I were to give you the job of milling holes in 3mm Aluminium (as outlined), given that you had a chance to make a few mistakes, tweak here and there, what would be the three lifetime figures you would give for:-

1. It's rubbish that cutting setup.
    2. That's about right.
    3. Cor blimey, that cutter lasted ages.

Obviously I am just asking "in your experience".. which is vastly appreciated.

Many thanks

Chris

<If it were easy, everyone would be doing it>