586,315 active members*
3,356 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Treadmill Motor Questions and Help

Treadmill Motor Questions and Help

OK so the motor on my CNC lathe is dying and I'm going to change it to a 1 3/4 HP treadmill motor and controller I got off craigslist.

First a couple of questions, I've looked for posts on treadmill motors but haven't found what I'm looking for. I've noticed a lot of people like using these motors. Why is that? Is it because they are powerful and with the correct controller they can slow down to low RPMs without losing torque?

Now how do I hook it up so it works like I have it right now? Right now I've got Mach controlling the old motor, a 2HP 3PH Motor, with a CNC4PC C6 Variable Speed Contol Board. I've attached some pics to show the power supply and controller I've got. That hooks up to a control panel that used to be on the treadmill but I have a feeling I won't need that. The control board is the same manufacturer that a lot of people use Minarik. Is there a way to use this with mach and the C6 Control Board?

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Treadmill Controllersm.jpg   Treadmill Motorsm.jpg   Treadmill Panelsm.jpg   Treadmill PSsm.jpg  

Treadmillsm.jpg  

People like the treadmill motors because you can often find 2-$300 worth of motor and electronics sitting on the curb for free pickings.

Your C6 should wire right up to the miniark. CNC4PC even has a wiring diagram for it:

http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/Minarik_MM.pdf

CR.
    http://crevicereamer.com
    Too many PMs. Email me to my name plus At A O L dot com.

Mine is the MM21030A and it doesn't have the INH2 but it does have the S1 S2 S3 and L1, L2, and AT. There is also a Treadmill power supply board. SO it's kind of confusing me. The S1, S2 and S3 goto the treadmill power supply board and so does the L1 and L2. The AT goes directly to the motor. If you look at the last pic you'll see where the wires are going. The L1 and L2 go to the treadmill PS board labeled motor power and M.C., which I take it are for Motion Control? I just don't want to hook up the wrong thing.

There is also a transformer going to the MM board and the motor. Do I need that treadmill power supply board, does that house the electronics for the whole thing and I only need the transformer, mm board and the motor?

Thanks.

Carter,

Minarik wants the ground to be connected to that terminal, which is the ground of the motor. I am not sure why. In any case, I would believe it will be ok to connected it to S1, which it believe is ground of the controller. I was not able to locate the manual for the speed controller. If you send a link it will help.

You can also use a multimeter to test for continuity between the grounds.

Arturo Duncan
    http://cnc4pc.com