586,700 active members*
2,761 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cyber Tool Automation

Does anyone use Cyber Tool ID chips on their retension knobs? I use them but have some problems when reading the chip into the machine control. Any comments?

Yep... use them....

What's the problem and what are you doing when you get the problems? (what are your motions)
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

After putting together a new tool and entering the data at the Mazak Control, I go to the tool magazine door and call the tool to the load position. When I press the ID button the message is 'TOOL IN MAGAZINE' and does not get registered. This does not happen to all the tools only certain ones. I know sometimes the operators pull the tools without pressing the OUT button. Could this be causing the problem? If so, how do I register the tool?

What machine is this? Are you running a chain or hive? ... and since you're entering the tool data at the control, I assume you don't have CTM software installed on a seperate computer?

I know sometimes the operators pull the tools without pressing the OUT button. Could this be causing the problem?
    If you're on Visual tool.... Yes. The memory still recalls the tool occupying the pocket. You should be able to verify that by looking in your Tool Layout page.

It's a HCN 6800 with a 160 tool chain. I do have a separate computer with the software but sometimes prefer to enter at the machine. If a tool is removed from the chain without pressing the OUT button will that pose a problem the next time the tool is placed back in the chain?

Yes because your CTM software on the PC is also tracking your tool chain. The proper thing to do is to use OUT when removing from the machine. Otherwise, the CTM software still thinks it is loaded in your machine which prevents your Tool Data from being uploaded... therefore you get a read alarm.

Make sure you properly pull the tool from the magazine every time. This moves the tool from the machine to "Unallocated" on your CTM software and continues to track it offline.

You can "back door" this if someone screws it up by using the Remove from Machine function (or something like that) on the CTM software (it's on the right half of the CTM display). Also make note though, if someone removes a tool like this but the tool still exists on the machine, you'll get an alarm at the machine for an unregistered tool.

Thank you, looks like a lot of operator training in my immediate future.