587,030 active members*
3,389 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Techno CNC > 4896 issues... where to start... (Long)?
Page 2 of 3 123

... well the new servo is installed, but...

... the same issue that started this whole mess, is still persisting.

I have a very pissed client that will want money back if he misses his Friday delivery date...

I took the old servo apart. It took less than 10 minutes to disassemble and remove the encoder. They never did remove the encoder entirely, as some of the screws were still factory tight. All they did was check for a broken glass encoder disc, then tell me I had to buy a whole new servo package, as the "encoder was not replaceable." (see attachment...) Seems to me that the encoder is replaceable. Now I will have to deal with this issue on top of everything else.

UPDATE: As soon as the tech support hung up, after we resolved the touch pad issue, the spindle refused to turn on. It was working at the beginning of the process... So much for getting caught up on client work.

My guess, they will tell me that the control board or PCI card (or better yet BOTH) are bad and have to be replaced.

D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Techno_Servo_Encoder.jpg  

.... the saga continues...

I spent some time with Bob (really worked with me to resolve what we could) and we finally got the touch pad and remote stop/start to function properly. Right after hanging up, I loaded a file to start getting caught up and the spindle would not run. It was running earlier.

I tried setting it to Manual and Automatic, and nothing.

I tried to move the Z Axis up, using the Techno Interface, and the GUI Up ARROW BUTTON stuck in the "pressed" position. The Z moved about an inch and stopped; giving the following error: "M3 Home Switch Is Stuck Open (Z Axis)". I tried the GUI Down Arrow button and same thing happened with the same message. I looked in the Diagnostics section and the HOME box showed the M3 Home box unchecked (assume that means Open, hence the error message). After sending Z to Home, it was checked off as closed. Apparently, the Techno CNC Interface considers using the GUI Z Buttons as HOME commands now.

A scary thing about when the GUI Buttons stick... the Z would sometimes alternate the UP Arrow as Down then back to UP... scares the crap out of me to think what this thing might do in the middle of a job... if I ever get it running again.

I tried to HOME the Z Axis and it moved up to the limit and stopped nicely.

I tried to touch off a tool to see what would happen and a box popped up saying: "Not Available While The Spindle Is Active." ... and it was off!

I went into Diagnostics and and in the CtrlReg Box, the SPINDLE box was checked, which was never checked before. I continued to check it periodically and sometimes it was checked, sometimes not.

All other Axes' work normally. I even brought in the 2 Box sample test file and cut air with it, but the GUI Z Buttons still stick and spindle would not come on.

I tried to uninstall the Techno CNC Interface and it will not let you uninstall. Even after the uninstall says it is done, you can go back to the Techno CNC Interface folder and all the files are still there and the registry is filled with Techno files.

So, since the files were still there, I tried to open the Techno CNC Interface and just after the Techno loading splash screen loads, it goes BLACK and reboots the whole computer! This will go on indefinitely. The only way to get rid of the Techno CNC Interface, is to reformat the HD and reinstall the OS... Which I have had to do four times now... and forget about bouncing back and forth between Build 400 and Build 420Q (by renaming the folders to Techno CNC Interface and Techno CNC Interface BAK respectively)... 420Q will not allow 400 to come back in once 420Q has taken possession of the computer... so you are forced to reformat and reload EVERYTHING in order to revert back to Build 400 or even test different configs between the two Builds... The whole thing is nasty as hell; a veritable den of incestuous vipers!

Tomorrow, I will be delivering client materials back to them, so they can have another person finish the last 5% of the job. I will be issuing a refund as well and don't want to think about what this has done to my company name.

D

i use the wincnc controller, well stable and plenty of user support, operates with a daughter board so i can be online with the techs or internet if i wish.

jim
    James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

This almost sounds like a cabling issue! either you are getting interference with the SCSI cable from the card to control box or you are getting noise in the lines from the motor(S). Is the machine reliably electrically grounded?
    http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver

Quote Originally Posted by Pplug View Post
    This almost sounds like a cabling issue! either you are getting interference with the SCSI cable from the card to control box or you are getting noise in the lines from the motor(S). Is the machine reliably electrically grounded?
    What constitutes reliably grounded?

The motors are grounded through the control board & there are half a dozen grounding wires run to the grounding block on the control board's aluminum backing plate.

I have disassembled anything to do with the 4th axis, reset the various jumpers back to their original locations and reformatted the HD and reinstalled the Techno Interface and XP OS. The only remaining upgrade not changed, is the 4th axis chip on the PCI card, and I don't even want to try removing that without the correct tool.

Still have the same issues with the GUI Buttons and spindle.

This is starting to take a toll.

I researched WinCNC and their forum is clustered with people having their major issues.

The DMM Technology website has some funky problems with text wrapping around places it doesn't belong, which doesn't instill confidence in their products or people's attention to technical quality... but their prices are very attractive... but then it just might be "you get what you pay for."

Then there's MachMotion, which has no forum here but has a few positive comments and no negatives, has a turn-key upgraded Mach3 solution, but will set me back $5K just to get a divorce from Techno.

If Techno cannot correct the issues (and I bet the resolution will be to ship the Control Board and PCI Card to NY) I will be forced into making a decision that will cost me a good amount of money either way. Either that or I will have to consider selling off the router, as I am already on the edge and just lost two clients over this issue.

American Products and Customer Service just isn't what it used to be... then again, maybe it never was.

D

"I researched WinCNC and their forum is clustered with people having their major issues."

i have wincnc on 3 machines and work with all of the camaster owners who have it on the well supported machine owners forum, there have been machine companys sell it with out supporting it or teaching it to respective owners, i do not know anyone who we work with who is not successful with it, we did go thru learning curves a couple of years back, and i get company response from wincnc in a reasonable time when i go thru my machine support channels correctly. basically all issues were owner oriented and easily solved. i do agree one must go where comfort finds them best and i agree wincnc is not for everyone i am sure you will find what you need, i have mach on the new "stinger" i recently purchased and it works well yet given a choice i would still go with wincnc. i can really understand how high your level of frustration is at this point and wish you good luck, me i am gonna cut today!!

jim
    James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

Dave what part of the country are you in? Some of us maybe able to help you get caught up.I do know how stressful your situation is.

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by advt001 View Post
    Dave what part of the country are you in? Some of us maybe able to help you get caught up.I do know how stressful your situation is.

Regards,
    Scott
    Scott,

I appreciate the offer. I am in the NW.

Unfortunately, in an effort to help out the customers, I directed them to alternative sources already; and in one instance, handed him a check to offset the inconvenience he was caused... even after that, he stopped by my shop and gave me an ear full... with Techno on the phone!

Can't win for losing sometimes.

D

Jim,

I didn't mean to come off as critical of WinCNC. I just wasn't in a position to take on the challenge of considering control software that other users seem to be having problems with.

It's one of the reasons I never went with Mach3... it seemed that you had to be an electrical engineer to configure the the system, then deal with troubleshooting issues, etc...

When you are trying to run a one-man business, all you want is a system that works, and when it doesn't, you want to be able to call the mfg. and get help.

Please accept my apologies if I came across as slamming WinCNC. That was not my intention.

D

Today was a better day...

... I spent a lot of time on the phone with Mike, at Techno. He was a real lifesaver. Knows the electrical component side of their machines like the back of his hand. He assured me we would get it fixed today.

In the end, we were able to trace the final problem back to a wire that had gotten loose inside the Z Axis slide, running to one of the Homing switches.

I am currently running the 420Q Build; all Axes' are running and Home as they should. So, 2 1/5 weeks later, I am, (cautiously he says) back in business.

I still have to configure the A axis properly, and Mike has committed to getting me up and running. He also seem surprised that I had to get a complete servo package just to correct the encoder issue, as he said they can be replaced. So, I will be following up on that with him, to see if anything can be done to offset the $900+.

I am looking forward to trying to relax over the weekend and assess what I can do to recoup business... but at least, for now, I am not having to worry about the router.

Thanks Mike!:wave:

D

Hello Dave,

Very glad to hear that Techno was able to work with you and find the problem.

I am very happy with my LC4848 I bought used and without the PCI card or software. Techno has been fantastic to work with in getting me the missing parts, quickly and helping me get them connected and working.

I hope everything returns to normal next week after a restful weekend!!

Best wishes from the east coast out your way.

Ed

Ed,

Thanks for the encouragement. I look forward to a better week next week.

I gets really frustrating, quickly, when a lot of money (for me anyway) is on the table and the help you get is not what it should be.

I agree that Techno can be very helpful and get the job done, but it seems to be dependent upon whom you are dealing with. Mike was stellar!

Once I get the wiring done in a more robust and professional manner, I should be back to 100%. Mike is also helping me get the 4th axis up and running properly, which will be a HUGE plus. It is solely because of his efforts, performance and attitude, that I will give very serious consideration to staying with the Techno CNC Interface.

From the left coast, have a great weekend yourself!

D

I would also like to throw out another name... Charlie Bible. He is in sales and if anyone needs help, this man is the one to go to. If he does not know the answer, he will find it for you or get you in touch with the person who does know the answer. I have spoken with Charlie several times and emailed him a lot in the past year. Always professional, fun and willing to do what it takes to help.

On a different note, I am running the 420Q software and have had no problems at all. The machine I bought used came with the 4th axis but I have not connected it yet.

I also found out that the grease gun for my chain saws nose sprocket is the right gun to grease the fittings on the X and Z axis.

Take care!

Is Techno still shipping the machines by Mayflower?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Lang View Post
    I would also like to throw out another name... Charlie Bible. He is in sales and if anyone needs help, this man is the one to go to. If he does not know the answer, he will find it for you or get you in touch with the person who does know the answer. I have spoken with Charlie several times and emailed him a lot in the past year. Always professional, fun and willing to do what it takes to help.

On a different note, I am running the 420Q software and have had no problems at all. The machine I bought used came with the 4th axis but I have not connected it yet.

I also found out that the grease gun for my chain saws nose sprocket is the right gun to grease the fittings on the X and Z axis.

Take care!
    Ed,

I second your opinion of Charlie. I, too, have had great experiences with Charlie in the past.

My 420Q seems to be working well. On the last install, Mike told me not to move or rename the original Techno CNC Interface folder; just install the 420Q drivers and Interface. So I did, and all worked well. 420Q has big issues if an older build (400 in my case) is still on the HD. Apparently, overwriting the older Build (***) version is the preferred method.

Let me know how your 4th axis setup goes... I will be finalizing mine over the next week or two. What 4th axis software are you using or planning to use?

Getting back on the horse this week... hoping all will be back to normal. Nice to enter the shop and not HATE (chair)your CNC Machine every time you look at it!

Dave, I am going to wait to hear all is OK from you before I start anything with my 4th axis

I have Vectric Aspire and really don't do any 4th axis work, but it came with my machine so I'll give it a try later this summer.

Dave, I am going to wait to hear all is OK from you before I start anything with my 4th axis

I have Vectric Aspire and really don't do any 4th axis work, but it came with my machine so I'll give it a try later this summer.
    Ed,

The 4th axis works mechanically... I get rotation etc. from the Interface. I have not run any programs on it yet. I am waiting to hear back from Techno regarding some 4th axis user info they supposedly have. Mike said that once he helps me setup the HOME sensor that came on my 4th axis, then we would walk through some basics. Essentially, I want to know about establishing the HOME position, touching off on a project, etc.

As for the actual 4th axis CAM, I have Aspire also and could use the Wrapper feature on some projects, however, I need full simultaneous 4th Axis capability, as well as indexed milling, so I chose to get madCAM, which plugs into my Rhino 3d software.

madCAM has a free trial download and the price was right for what I want to do. Rhino CAM is a plug in as well, but costs twice as much because you have to buy Rhino CAM then pay the same amount again to add 4th axis capability. It also seemed to be glitchy when I tried to use it... but it was the price that really made to decision for me.

D

I would like to see pictures of your finished setup. I have a servo motor and cable. No chuck or tail stock.

I will have to do some work on my own to make it all work.

I also would like to hear what Techno has to say about the help and tricks to make it work.

Keep me posted!

ed

I would like to see pictures of your finished setup. I have a servo motor and cable. No chuck or tail stock.

I will have to do some work on my own to make it all work.

I also would like to hear what Techno has to say about the help and tricks to make it work.

Keep me posted!

ed
    Ed,

Do you have the 4th axis AMP for the Control Card and the 4th axis chip for the PCI card?

Other than that, all you need to do is run your cables and change a couple jumpers and you should be good to go from an electrical/mechanical perspective.

I bought my 4th axis from a guy in Texas that built it for me. He used a Phase II Rotary Indexer as the basis and machined up everything else. Added a photo sensor for the HOME switch. He will be making more to sell, that are an improved version over the one I have.

For the tail stock, I bought a Phase II adjustable one from Enco. It was normally $200 and I paid $119 with free shipping.

D

I have no idea about the chip in the PCI card. I have the slow servo machine. The controller, again, I don't know but expect I would since the machine was ordered new with that option.

Can you show me a picture of what I need to look at to know for sure?

Page 2 of 3 123