586,594 active members*
2,977 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smile Spring Design

Hi

My design -

I have designed a slider mechanism. It has a pin & a spring fitted over it at the end. As the slider operates ( by 28 mm ), the spring compresses. Than i have a side screw provided to hold the slider in this position. At the top of slider i have an attachment used to clamp a piece...{ Actually this slider alignes the piece automatically }

Than I remove the side screw (which clamps the slider).

The problem to me is -

1. I dont know actually what terminology it is. You can say a sort of reverse force. In other words, as the compressed spring is made free to move it should push a wieght of 2 kg (which is the slider weight) easily & slowly...(The slider movement should not be very fast & abrupt..It should be smooth).
    Can anyone help me what is this terminology/factor called as & what should be value of it (which will be useful for me while ordering)

2. My Spring OD Should be 14 mm & ID should be 9 mm. So, accordingly can anyone tell me what should be the free length to achieve a stroke of 28 mm.

zIROK

You need something to dampen the spring action of the coil spring, as there are no 'slow return springs' that I am aware of. The inherent quality of a spring is that it 'wants' to return to its free length as soon as the potential energy it has stored is allowed to flow.

Typical method would be to couple the spring to a hydraulic cylinder with a small passage through the piston to allow the cylinder to 'leak' oil from one side to the other at the desired rate. A shock absorber or gas strut may work in similar fashion.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Cool

Ok..

If it going to be hydraulic fitment, i will drop down the requirement of slow return motion.

Any idea about terminology which will define the backing force OR in other words, the potential energy which will throw the slider back (which weighs 2 KG)

Zirok