586,594 active members*
3,086 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hardinge Lathes > Talent 8/52 Duplomatic turret wont unclamp

Talent 8/52 Duplomatic turret wont unclamp

I have a Talent w/ duplomatic live tooling turret, it was crashed at one time and the turret housing was broke. The Turret was replaced and now I am trying to get the turret to reference and the live tooling motor spins up and finds the prox, the tool piston retract and it tries to index but seems like the turret is not unclamping. I looked in the X bits and I cannot see the turret clamp and unclamp switches come on. I have tested the switches at the pcb and the switches are working. I dont know if the controler for the turret is seperate from the Fanuc side so thats why im not seeing the switches in the i/o coming on. I need help bad I am getting desperate so if anyone knows these well please help

turret on a Talent

That machine has a drive made by the MFG. Of the turret. It should be a 2X4...or 6 inch golden rectangle box in the elec. Panel. All conections from the termainal strip on the turret goes to that drive and then interfaced to the fanuc control. I would assume that drive was damaged in the crash as well. Good luck!

Did you figure this thing out? The way this system works is ...... The machine sends a start signal to the duplomatic drive, the drive performs it task, and the drive sends a finish signal back to the machine. All prox switches, for the turret, are controled in that drive. The only things the machine sees is..... A "in position" signal (finish signal) and the hydrolic switch/solenoide for turret clamp. There are 5 prox switches on the turret. 2 for clamp and unclamp located in turret body under round cover, 2 for live tool piston in/out located behind the turret face plate and live tool plate. In the black body where the actual piston shoots in and out. The hydrolic lines also go into that body/block. 1 for turret reference located on back of turret body looking at the center shaft of turret (sees a cam on that shaft) ........ Logic of a basic index.

1.) machine sends start sig to drive.

2.) drive sends sig to electric switch/solenoide on hydrolic valve to unclamp turret.

3.) turret drive looks for both the unclamp and live tool piston in prox switches to be met.

4.) drive sends signal to index motor, and turret indexes.

5.)drive sends sig to electric switch/solenoid on hydrolic valve to clamp turret.

6.) drive looks for clamp and live tool piston out prox switches to be met.

7.) drive sends finish sig to machine.

If any of these things are not seen in that order it should stop. First thing I would try is to manually fire the hydrolic valve for turret. Located on top of hydrolic tank alittle right of the fill hole/cap. Use a small allen or screwdriver to push the center rod in on both sides of valve to unclamp/clamp to test if the valve shifts. If so, unclamp the turret and manually spin the turret off of station 1, put it on 6 or so. Then try to reference the turret again. If turret doesn't spin, check to see if the live tool piston shoots in, if it does, check unclamp and piston in prox switches. If turret spins and spins, reference prox switch is bad/out of adjustment (more likely bad though). If turret spins to station 1 and doesent clamp, hydrolic valve/switch is bad. If it spins to station and keeps trying to clamp and unclamp, see if the live tool piston shoots out fast or slow. If fast, check clamp and piston out prox switches. If slow, there is a hydrolic check valve that's screwed in directly into the live tool block. Take it off and apart to get rid of the "check" in the valve and reinstall it again. Try to reference it again. If that works replace check valve with new one! If all that doesn't work and all switches/valves work.... The drive isn't working. Hopes this all helps you!!

Duplomatic Problem

I have the same lathe with the same problem. Turret crashed, removed, repaired and reinstalled. Alarm indicates that a turret reference must be performed. Manual gives a nice procedure for a non-live tooling turret, but states it is only for that type. No procedure is given for a live tooling turret. Any ideas?