586,129 active members*
3,076 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Recommend Solution For Single Axis

Recommend Solution For Single Axis

I have this bridge saw with no controller. I have spare servo drives, motors and some stepper motors and drives.

Also I have AC Drives with gearbox motor. The AC Drive is Teco MA7200 with lot of features.
    which I can use to drive the cutter head if possible. I think the gearbox was previous used with the saw.

I don't plan to use a computer to control this saw because is just one axis only forward and reverse direct.

What I like to have is the following:

1. Control the speed of the axis Forware and Reverse during cutting.

2. Jog to position with different speed.

3. Automatic home position when it hit the right limit switch.

What is the best solution for this requirement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bridge Saw Control.jpg  

I would suggest some small micro-controller for the project, but some fancy logic on a PLD could handle the requirements.

Jon

I'd make some sort of standalone controller using a microcontroller. All you'd need is dir and step signals really, and then some inputs such as a joystick.

As for the limits, it'd be as easy as wiring it to an input and writing the proper code.

I Second That!

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse B View Post
    I'd make some sort of standalone controller using a microcontroller. All you'd need is dir and step signals really, and then some inputs such as a joystick.

As for the limits, it'd be as easy as wiring it to an input and writing the proper code.
    I second this. My thoughts exactly. I'd use an AVR and a driver chip like those on standard driver boards with dir & step configuration.

Do you have any experience programming microcontrollers?

Heck you're only going forwards and back and need to control the speed and a jog? If your servo drives use analog signals for speed control, just a simple rheostat will work. Anything more is extra work. The servo drive ends up working like a simple DC drive

Many drives also have fwd & rev limit inputs, each only allow movement in the opposite direction.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Many commercial servo drives have such features built in . Check out the Emerson FX series or the contemporary equal for ideas. Perhaps a little spendy, but good solid drives combined with Programmable logic control capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by amishx64 View Post
    I second this. My thoughts exactly. I'd use an AVR and a driver chip like those on standard driver boards with dir & step configuration.

Do you have any experience programming microcontrollers?
    No, I don't have any experience with programming microcontroller.

Thanks

If you list the drives and motors that you have and looking to using, it may be possible to offer more assistance, you don't necessarily need intelligent drives for that application.
    Al.

Albert E.

It's not required, but I think it'd be nice to be able to run them at a known speed, and adjust it to fairly precise speeds on command. It's not necessary, but for the amount of work it'd take it might be worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse B View Post
    It's not required, but I think it'd be nice to be able to run them at a known speed, and adjust it to fairly precise speeds on command. It's not necessary, but for the amount of work it'd take it might be worthwhile.
    Thats an idea, If they are older DC servo's with Tach's, a digital or even moving coil volt meter could monitor the tach voltage for a quick simple method.
    Al.

Albert E.

Currently I have two AC Drives that I use for this project the Drives are from TECO model MA7200 and 7300CV. The 7300CV has PLC functions built. This is description for the drive. I think it should be able to do what I need but I am able to hookup the motor manual push the button for forward and reverse.

What I like to do is able to automatic home when it the reach the end limit switch and before home it actuate a switch and when it sense successfull activated and activate the reverse to home position.

7300CV Series Compact Vector AC Drives

Product Features

Auto-tuning Sensorless Vector Control with V/HZ mode

Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) utilizing IGBT Technology

Built-in PID Control

2 Analog Inputs: 1 master speed reference accepts 0-10VDC, 4-20mA, and 0-20mA signals and 1 multi-function (0-10VDC)

Digital Inputs: 5 PNP/NPN selectable

1 Analog Output (0-10VDC)

2 Multi-function Digital Relay Outputs

Built-in dynamic braking transistor

Electronic overload protection and stall prevention

Ground fault and short circuit protection

Built-in PLC functions at no extra cost

Ladder logic programming, up to 40 rungs of code

Up to 7 Digital Inputs, 2 Relay Outputs, 2 Analog Inputs

8 Comparators (4 analog, 4 encoder)

8 Timers, 4 Counters, 15 Internal Relays

If it has a built in ladder, you should be able to accomplish what you want within 40 rungs of code.
    I am not familiar with the ladder in those, but presumably it is fairly easy to program? no extra hardware or software required?
    Al.

Albert E.