586,655 active members*
3,491 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How to move a brigeport lookalike

I have an XYZ1500 (looks like a bridgeport)it weighs a max of 1400kgs. Whoever installed it never thought that you might need access to the computer at the back that controls the CNC and to it's almost flush to the wall.

WHt's the procedure for moving these things please? never done it before. I only need to move it a couple of feet.

Thanks!
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Can you pry it up, off the floor a small amount ? Then slip some gas pipe or round bar under it, and roll it away from the wall. Kinda like the Egyptian methode of building pryamids.

Johnson bar to pry it up followed by pipe to roll it on. Make sure you're not on any kind of slope!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson_bar_(tool)

Cheers,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

I have moved my BP clone half-way across the shop several times using nothing more than a crow-bar. Just slip it underneath, and slide one end a few inches, then do the same to the other end. You can move it 6 feet by yourself in a matter of minutes.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Thanks guys! I'll give it a go... I have visions of of my hands slipping on the crowbar and it springing up into my nether regions

Hi ImanCarrot

If you have trouble with the crowbar, you can put a block of wood from under the knee,
    wind the knee down,(this will lift the front of the base up just enough to put the rollers in)

Put 2 1/2" pipes or solid bar under the base, lower the knee, & roll it forward

To take the rollers out, just reverse the above, if you have trouble getting the the first roller out,because it has moved back to far, you put a piece of wood under the back of the mill, wind the knee down, move the rollers forward, lower it back down, take the wood out of the back, & then lift the front again & take the rollers out, lower it back down & you are done

Move the table to the front so you have the weight over the front before you jack it up
    This works great & have done it many times, & only jack it up enough to get the rollers in
    Mactec54

Johnson bar to pry it up followed by pipe to roll it on.
    I worked in a shop where we occasionally moved Bridgeports with 4 guys and 2 Johnson bars, and a few scuffs on the floor when we were done ...

mactec54, that is a brilliant idea! one of them where you slap your own forehead and think "doh! why didn't I think of that!" Nice one!

I tried the crowbar then a longer one and then a six foot pry bar with two metal wheels on it... couldn't move it more that an inch- just too heavy. So it's the knee trick. awesome man! thanks!

Hi ImanCarrot

Just take your time & you will get it done, I have posted ideas like this before, when you work by yourself, you have to figure ways to do things without to much sweat, Just follow what is in the post
    Mactec54

Wahhh! it worked ))) yes! many, many thanks! now I need to take the PC apart heh :cheers:

a six foot pry bar with two metal wheels on it
    Like this?

http://www.monumentalelevatorsupply....johnsonbar.jpg

If yes, then that'd be a Johnson bar.

As an aside... you know the spanner that everyone leaves on top of their mill to work the drawbar?

Remove this prior to setting the machine down... it falls on your head lol *ouch*