586,190 active members*
4,057 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Program restart

Hi, great forum guys. Today I was machining a pipe bender die in our new VF2 machining center and it stopped midway through the finishing program due to low air pressure (compressor playing up). Whats the best way to restart my program from the midway point...I dont want to do all those passes again for nothing. The job is a 1 3/4 rad in material about 20inch long, so it takes awhile. Any help appreciated. regards digby01

Make sure Setting 36, PROGRAM RESTART is turned ON.

Cursor down to slightly ahead of the point you want to restart; normally I like to restart on the line below a Z clearance move.

The way PROGRAM RESTART is the controller scans all the way through the prpogram to get the correct offsets, tools and tool diameters activated. Then it moves to the location defined by the program line immediately above your restart point, this is why I try to make sure this line has the tool up away from the work, then it moves to your start point.

If you are using MIRROR G100/G101 in a program funny things can happen, if you are using loops will L counts you cannot start in the loop only somewhere before it. If you turn Single Block on before restarting the controller scans very slowly.

I suggest turning Rapids down to 5%. Push Cycle Start and hold you finger over the Single Block key; as soon as the spindle starts or any axis moves push Single Block. Now you can speed up the rapids and Single Block to your start point. Keep an eye on clearances, I have hits clamps during restart because the machine goes to the preceding Z position as I mention then scoots across to the restart point without lifting Z. If there is a clamp that is too high in the way bang goes your tool.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Thanks Geof, I will give it a go thismorning, carefully. Regards digby01