586,852 active members*
2,276 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

parallel port cable

Hi,

I almost done building my 1st machine however I'm having difficulties with the pins of the parallel cable. I'm using "Keling KL4030 with C10 breakout board kit". I would like to wire my parallel cable from the CNC driver to the computer but I'm not sure about the diagram. I have lots of parallel cabels but I'm almost sure that standard printer cable is not wired correctly to operate the CNC driver. Does it standard wiring from pin 'x' to pin 'x' or something else?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3274small.jpg   IMG_3275small.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by spaltiel View Post
    Hi,

I almost done building my 1st machine however I'm having difficulties with the pins of the parallel cable. I'm using "Keling KL4030 with C10 breakout board kit". I would like to wire my parallel cable from the CNC driver to the computer but I'm not sure about the diagram. I have lots of parallel cabels but I'm almost sure that standard printer cable is not wired correctly to operate the CNC driver. Does it standard wiring from pin 'x' to pin 'x' or something else?

Thanks
    You need a 25 pin male pin D-sub connector on each end (unless your CNC driver needs a 25 pin female connector) and the wiring is pin 1 to pin 1 through pin 25 to pin 25. A "straight wired" cable.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Quote Originally Posted by CarveOne View Post
    You need a 25 pin male pin D-sub connector on each end (unless your CNC driver needs a 25 pin female connector) and the wiring is pin 1 to pin 1 through pin 25 to pin 25. A "straight wired" cable.

CarveOne
    Thanks.
    If I understand correctly - all i need to do is to wire pin 1 to pin 1 then pin 2 to pin 2 then pin 3 to pin 3 and so on to pin 25 to pin 25.
    I'm double checking because I afraid to make short circuit which might damage the computer or the CNC driver.

I'm rookie with electronics.

BTW I saw that in standard parallel cables from old printers the wire are not straight.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by spaltiel View Post
    Thanks.
    If I understand correctly - all i need to do is to wire pin 1 to pin 1 then pin 2 to pin 2 then pin 3 to pin 3 and so on to pin 25 to pin 25.
    I'm double checking because I afraid to make short circuit which might damage the computer or the CNC driver.

I'm rookie with electronics.

BTW I saw that in standard parallel cables from old printers the wire are not straight.

Thanks again
    You are correct. Each pin on one end goes to the same pin on the other end.

No grounds or jumpers between pins of one connector or crossed wiring between pins of both connectors. You can buy a straight wired cable at computer stores. A shielded cable is best.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Spaltiel,

Is that network cable (Cat 5 cable) you're using to hook up your motors? I've read that its current carrying capacity is only around an amp or so (individual conductors are only 24 guage). Then again, it looks like you might be doubling up the cables to each motor, which I suppose would double up the current carrying capacity. Can you fill us in?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve85 View Post
    Spaltiel,

Is that network cable (Cat 5 cable) you're using to hook up your motors? I've read that its current carrying capacity is only around an amp or so (individual conductors are only 24 guage). Then again, it looks like you might be doubling up the cables to each motor, which I suppose would double up the current carrying capacity. Can you fill us in?

Steve
    Hi Steve,

It is parallel cable with 25 pins like the one which was used to hook up old printers. I asked about the wiring of the cable (which pins to wire).

Amir

Spaltiel,

Where did you purchase the wiring your using for your motors there?

Quote Originally Posted by C.Des View Post
    Spaltiel,

Where did you purchase the wiring your using for your motors there?
    I bought from standard electricity store which also sell shrinking tubes, micro-switches, lamps and etc. It is standard 1.5 mm flexible wire.

Amir