586,785 active members*
2,747 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Mass finishing equipment/media/strategies > Custom built .063" aluminum sheet polisher.

Custom built .063" aluminum sheet polisher.

So i have seen a tumbler and vibrator polisher with all different kinds of media work excellent on polishing aluminum, brass, copper, you name it. My question to you is if i load in a 20"x20" sheet of .063" aluminum into a custom built machine, made by myself can i polish a sheet to the same luster as small parts?

What media would you recommend for 6061-T6 aluminum? I've seen friends polish it to a mirror finish by hand, but can i polish a sheet to a high luster/mirror by using the machine.

Thanks.

** bump **

I see the normal vibrating units that are made to polish like gun ammo (brass) but cant i take the small bucket off and attach a larger custom holder that holds sheet and load in the polishing media? sounds like it should work in theory.

It probably will not work in practice. I have tried putting flat objects (say 4"x4" flat pieces of 16 gauge steel) in my vibratory deburring machine. It didn't work well. The parts floated to the top and only got slightly scratched up from the media (and only on the underside) - instead of circulating throughout the media and getting worked thoroughly. So, a very large flat piece, even with a custom built bed, will probably also float to the top and fail to get properly polished.

What if I were to fix the piece in a custom jig centered in the media so it won't float?

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6xkE-Xo4SA&feature=related"]YouTube- Aluminum Fuel Tank restoration.mov[/nomedia]

www.gordsaluminumpolish.com
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

When i worked @ Boeing believe it or not, thats how they would polish the plane to a mirror shine on some of the leading edge aluminum sections. They also used that technique to take micro chips out so they overtime did not spread and open up the aluminum sheet like a zipper form a stress fracture.

I wanted too put multiple sheets in the vibrator and let it sit overnight, take the human factor out of the equation haha.

Lots of water will be consumed keeping the media clean.

I believe most manufactures that are using sheet goods to construct there product are using a buffer.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Lots of water will be consumed keeping the media clean.

I believe most manufactures that are using sheet goods to construct there product are using a buffer.

Jeff...
    Oh dang! I guess i will have to look into a monster buffer haha.

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    What if I were to fix the piece in a custom jig centered in the media so it won't float?
    Yes I suppose that could work.