586,106 active members*
3,177 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Automated Insert Dispensing Machine

Hello,

I've been wandering if anyone have or heard of an Mill Insert Dispensing Machine where on the interface, you type the # of the location of the desired insert, employe #, job # and quantity ?? I'm looking for Ideas to get going.

I already thought of welding 3/4 sc40 Aluminum tubes onto a plate, and have some type of selenoid opening and closing the gate dispenser. All I need now is to know what type of interface to use....

Any one got an idea ??

I've heard of suppliers offering this service...putting everything from tool cribs (consumables) into vending machines and then they send a person in to restock when the machine sends an email that quantities are getting low.
    What if you bought an older vending machine and mod it? You could use a touch screen or card swipe to interface and drive any solenoids from a plc?
    menomana

Do you have an idea of where I can get my hands on such a vending machine controller ?

Quote Originally Posted by wildebs_27
    Do you have an idea of where I can get my hands on such a vending machine controller ?
    Are you trying to buy a solution or design a solution??

Quote Originally Posted by ViperTX
    Are you trying to buy a solution or design a solution??
    I'm trying to design a solution, but it also means that I have to start with something....

Exclamation Tool Managment Vendors - Help!!!

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and want to say hello! We are looking for some type of dispensing solution for one of our warehouses and have narrowed it down to a short list of vendors. Am under a time crunch, so don't really have time to talk to all of them in person. Does anyone have any information - good and bad on the following?

1) AutoCrib
    2) CribMaster
    3) SupplyPro
    4) SupplyPoint
    5) DispenseSource
    6) IVM

They all pretty much look the same, so I was wondering if anyone had any stories to share regarding product reliability, performance, support & service, etc.

Thanks in advance to all! Cheers!

Frank.

Cost of existing systems

Does anyone have an idea of the approximate costs for systems already made? I understand that Kennametal sells one also - Tool Boss I think it is. Anyone familiar with it? Approximate costs of them?

I had worked for a company for several years that used the AutoCrib system; we got the machines free as long as we purchased a certain dollar amount of tooling from the supplier every month. I can't remember the target price, but we did well over that amount of business with them anyway, so the units were free.
    The other brands all appear to be about the same concept, so it will come down to support from your supplier. Ours were networked, and the supplier would check inventory remotely in the machines daily, and would restock them for us. (with a guaranteed 'zero-outages' policy!)
    They also did nice things for us, like blister-packing milling inserts in sets of four or five or whatever amount the cutter held, and every 5 packs had a new set of screws, a new allen wrench, and a tube of anti-seize.
    The software setup allowed us to use our existing bar-coding to track tooling usage by part number, operation, operator, shift, etc.
    We could also limit the number of tools that could be issued to a part or job or operator; the whole thing had a 'supervisor' option that would allow certain people free access to everything, and it also came with a key in a glass tube (in case of emergency, break glass) just to prevent shutting the plant down in case of mechanical problems or whatever else might come up.
    They also offered a service (which we never used) in which they would blister-pack all of the inserts needed for a specific sequence on a specific job... good for a shop with a low quantity of parts.
    Good system, especially because the supplier was willing to make it work.

I hate to revive a post this old... but, has anyone actually used any of the following?
    1) AutoCrib
    2) CribMaster
    3) SupplyPro
    4) SupplyPoint
    5) DispenseSource
    6) IVM
    7) Kennametal Tool Boss

I'm looking to prepare a presentation for the "Big Wheels" at our company on how much time and money could be saved by using one of the above. Does anyone know how much the cost on any of them is? One time purchase? Reaccuring monthly charges? I'm flying blind here and need some place to start without having the annoying sales people call or stop by.
    Thanks in advance,
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Billet Sean View Post
    I hate to revive a post this old... but, has anyone actually used any of the following?
    1) AutoCrib
    2) CribMaster
    3) SupplyPro
    4) SupplyPoint
    5) DispenseSource
    6) IVM
    7) Kennametal Tool Boss

I'm looking to prepare a presentation for the "Big Wheels" at our company on how much time and money could be saved by using one of the above. Does anyone know how much the cost on any of them is? One time purchase? Reaccuring monthly charges? I'm flying blind here and need some place to start without having the annoying sales people call or stop by.
    Thanks in advance,
    Sean
    I have always used Kennametal Tool Boss and it's been great. I'll have to get you some more info when I'm not posting from a blackberry.

Ok, thanks! I appreciate it! Any help would be GREAT!

I have used systems from both Iwen Tool Supply and from Alro. Both worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by yoopertool View Post
    I have used systems from both Iwen Tool Supply and from Alro. Both worked well.
    Any idea what the cost is?

it depends on what size of system you get along with what type of service (refill frequency). I would suggest giving them a call or email quick for some info.