586,108 active members*
3,100 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

pocket milling help

i'm machining a rather large enclosure from solid walnut. The outside gets profiled with a 1/2" diameter, 2" tall cutter - the enclosure itself is 1.5" tall

there are then various internal routings to allow room for the components that go inside.

i'm having some trouble with one pocket that is 1 1/8" deep. I'm taking small depth cuts, about .09". The issue i'm having is the bit is not always cutting at the 1 1/8" depth. 2 out of the 4 walls are already relieved down, so the depth there is only about .3"

When i get into the corner where the depth on both sides is 1 1/8", the bit wants to pull into the work surface. Not much, but its enough to leave a mark. Last night it was enough to crack the wood (must have already been weak there)

Mind you, this is being done on a home built cnc. Not quite a Haas, but not entry level either

i've tried slowing down the feedrate. should i also slow down the cutter? The pocket is small (1.5" x 4") so i dont mind slowing things down if that would be the way to go

I guess ultimately having a corner radius that is larger than the cutter could help too - but i'm not sure thats possible. unless it was just slightly larger

You can get carbide end mills 1/4 diameter that will go 1.125 deep.

Sounds like you are conventional milling into the corners and as it goes into the corner it is taking a heaviear cut and pushing the tool into the side more.

You may want to try roughing with a climb milling cut.

yeah part of the problem is i'm trying to do as much as possible with one cutter

i'm going to add in a .05" radius into the corners to minimize the tool load and see how that goes tonight