586,154 active members*
3,852 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Have the milling machine, now I need tooling

Have the milling machine, now I need tooling

Hey, new guy here. Just to start off I have very little machining experience.

I've recently bought a 10" x 18" Craftex lathe and a Craftex milling/drilling machine second hand from a fella who stepped up to bigger equipment. I have used the lathe quite a bit and have some very basic knowledge learned in Highschool( 20 years ago!) and from videos on youtube.

I just got the mill wired in and have not used it at all. I have no tooling yet and really don't know what all I should buy. I know I need a clamp set, but the end mill holders has me confused.

It has an R8 taper, which I'm told is a very common type? I see R8 end mill holders that seem to only hold one certain size. Then I see R8 collets. Can I buy one end mill holder that will take all the collets that fit all the sizes? or do I have to buy a holder for every size end mill? Or do the end mills only have 1-2 shank sizes? I don't even know how they stay in the holder... Damn I have a lot to learn

I'm very excited to get going !

Thank you

Cory,
    Holding the tools is commonly done with either a collet OR an endmill holder. The endmill holder is arguably more rigid than a collet, but like you say; it will hold only one size shank. A set of collets can be had for a reasonable price from the usual discount places and do a reasonable job until you have things sorted out. In either case, the holder is retained in the quill by use of a drawbar that goes down through the center of the spindle and for R8 has either a 7/16-20 or 12mm thread on it depending on country of origin! Most of what you will find on this side of the ponds I think will be 7/16". As for end mills, I got a cheap set from Enco to begin with to see how things would work on my machine. I quickly found out which sizes I use the most and that is what I attempt to keep on hand. I rarely wear one out as I have a nasty habit of breaking them off before that happens (hey, I am still learning:})

Alot will depend on WHAT you intend doing with your machines.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

I have a small X3 mill with an R8 taper, I bought this http://www.grizzly.com/products/R-8-...-pc-Set/T10068

If I was starting again I would probably go with a different manufacturer, and a kit without all the big collet sizes, but it has worked for every bit and endmill I've needed to stick in the spindle so far.

As far as endmills, I buy alot of .187" to .375" endmills from Maritool.com I have a few 1/2" bits I use for facing and stock removal.

Thank you for the replies, that really clears things up for me.

I already have a list of things I'm going to buy and I think I will get a cheap set of end mills and the collet kit to start out with.

some of the er sets on ebay are pretty good and cheap , i picked up a 10pc er16 set with a 1/2' shank holder to use on my router for about $35-$40 , it runs pretty true and great at 25000rpm (though they are meant to run at those speeds)
    this is one seller for example
    http://shop.ebay.com/hk_tools/m.html....c0.m14&_pgn=3

if you want low cost carbide or hss endmills then pm me if you'd like , I can work something out for you to get a decent start up set going

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Remember to tram the head on your mill and check the table for burrs or dings (stone them down) before you start cutting!
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Tooling

Cory,
    A good place to get tooling and some good deals is:
    GLC Sales
    "Wolf"
    877-742-2224
    I have been buying tools from there since 1986.
    Hope this helps.
    Tell Wolf "Loyd sent you"
    Loyd

Quote Originally Posted by ImanCarrot View Post
    Remember to tram the head on your mill and check the table for burrs or dings (stone them down) before you start cutting!
    Ok, now you got me confused again. What does "tram the head" mean exactly?

I just checked the table and it feels very smooth. This machine is almost new.

Tramming

http://www.webs1.uidaho.edu/mindwork...Head%20pdf.pdf

It is a method of making the spindle centerline perpidicular to the table of the mill......very important! Also deburring (with a fine stone) the table and vise, angle plate, workpiece or whatever you are mounting to the table.
    Loyd

Ah! Thanks for the info. I just printed that out. I'll keep a copy of that handy.

One more question: What kind of rpm do I use for most milling operations? I know that's a pretty vague question. I would think steel and aluminum would be different, and also different sppeds for different operations.

The manual that came with the machine doesn't tell me anything. I really need to buy a book, or video. Are any of these videos I see advertised worth it?

As far as what I'm going to work on I'm not sure. I will likely clamp a chunk of aluminum in there first and go at it, just to see how it all works. All I know is I'm like a kid at Christmas waiting to try this thing out !

some speeds and feeds for standard end mills and materials
    Attached Files Attached Files
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........