586,780 active members*
4,084 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

need some copper parts cut..

hey all!

Until i get a lot of stars alligned (probably early june) i really need some of these made for me until i can start making them myself. I would order 5-10 depending on the price.

The goal here is cost... low as possible. I have the copper i could ship to you.. i could modify the design quite a bit... the tolerances don't have to be perfect (the only real dimension that is important is the 1.375" OD shaft on the copper, because it has to mate with a copper cap). the rest could be +-.005" or so, maybe a little worse but should be better then +-.01".

here is another picture of it to give you a "what it looks like" view,

Hopefully i can find someone with a cnc lathe who is looking to make a little bit of money...

Cheers fellas.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Have you turned the alloy of copper you're considering? Copper is generally very gummy and does not like to be cut unless the tooling is very sharp. With those deep grooves, that means it needs to be a wider faced, grooving tool. Those parts will be more of a challenge than you might think at first.

Just a suggestion in case you can reconsider your design. If not, it is what it is and somebody will have to deal with it.
    Greg

hey mate!

I have machined a lot of these and yes its a bit of a PITA. I have changed the design to something easier to machine but my customers tell me this is the best design they have ever come across.

I have been machining these for a while on my x3 but im having some coolant problems and motor stalling problems while machining them (with a slitting saw).

the design could be changed so that the center post is .875", which would mean that the depth of cut(of the radius) would be .25".

To estimate the price, you can buy a similar one new for $45. Not including the price of metal(i would supply that) i was hoping around $25 a unit for 10 units. If this is too low it would be better for me to just make them myself.

cheers

To estimate the price, you can buy a similar one new for $45. Not including the price of metal(i would supply that) i was hoping around $25 a unit for 10 units. If this is too low it would be better for me to just make them myself.

Would that be 2.50 each for a total of 10 parts, or do you mean 25.00 each for a total of 10 parts?

Have you found someone to do these yet?