586,753 active members*
7,131 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Multi level pocketing

Multi level pocketing

Hello Forum,

This is a two part question and I hope I can ask so you all can understand. I have searched the forum, but am not sure how this problem would be explained, so I hope I am not asking again. I have a pocket situation that goes like this;

Picture a rectangle say with half .2 deep, with the remaining .4 deep. Within this .4 section of rectangle, I have a pocket .1 from the edge that extends through all. The problem I am having is getting Mastercam to completely pocket the .4 area ignoring the through pocket. It wants to cut around the through pocket leaving the .1 lip on the opposite side. I am using a .25" router bit and would like to cut this .1 lip. Is that even possible to cut a "ledge" that is smaller than the bit?

Question #1 - OR -

Is there a way to ignore a previous cut? I have always had this problem with holes. Although in a preceding toolpath step, I cut the holes, Mastercam pretends they are still uncut and cuts around them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is driving me nuts!
    Thank you in advance,

Wayja

I have a feeling you are not selecting the geometry correctly or are trying to do to much with one toolpath.
    Can you attach a copy of your Mcam file that we can look at?
    I personally do not have direct access to the McamX series but others here can help you with those versions.
    ObrienDave. MasterCam since V6. Gcode since 1983.
    The nose you punch today may belong to the butt you have to kiss tomorrow.

Attached is a similar block to show the idea. I am trying to pocket all depths, but have tried surface rough and finish also, with flowline and parallel. The problem in question is the ledge next to .5 deep pocket with a 1/4" bit.

Thanks again in advance for any help you can provide,

Wayja
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Wayja,

In the future it would be a lot better to post the Mastercam file you are struggling with so we can see what you are doing wrong.

Here is a file with 2 different toolpath groups showing how the part you provided could be cut. One toolpath group shows what is possible with "Mill Level 3" toolpaths and the other shows what you'll need to do if using Mill Level 1 or Router.

Matt,

Sorry I sent the test block because I did not have access to the complete file at the time, hoping for some instruction, just like you provided. Attached is a copy of the real file. The real file is a little more complicated than the test block, and I realize now it is a different animal than the first test block I sent. I saved it with the standard pocket method I usually use and you can see the problem with the ledge along side the 1.0" cut. Do to the varying levels, I cannot get the chain to work. I am sorry if I wasted your time. I am analyzing the file you sent back, and boy, do I have a lot to learn!

If you are willing, any advice or instruction you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Wayja

Hey,

I just opened up the .mcx file you posted.

It's similar enough to the original .sldprt that my example still makes sense.

The bottom line here is that you're trying to chain up only the existing geometry in the file and that won't work for this part. What you need to do is create geometry as needed like I did in the file I posted.

Matt,

Thank you for the reply. I spent the weekend figuring out what you did differently in the file you sent back. I think I understand the concept. Thanks alot for spending the time to provide some training to a newbie.

Wayja